1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Screen won't turn on in/after a phonecall!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by disconfigured, Jan 7, 2013.

1. disconfigured

disconfigured Member
    None

Aug 25, 2010
    As the title suggests my S3's screen won't turn on while I'm in a call or for about 20 seconds after a call (You know, when you bring the phone up to your ear and it automatically turns off and then you pull it down again and it turns on? Yeah, not doing it!!).

This has been happening for a good few days now, possibly since the updated software update, the one which changed the gallery appearance (I updated the firmware last night and it's still doing it).

Anyone got any ideas? Hoping it's a setting I've pressed rather than having to reset!!

Cheers

Advertisement

2. Mikestony

Mikestony ~30% Carbon Black ±

Sep 10, 2010
    Male
    Next to you
    All that I know to suggest is going into your phone dialer, hit menu, then call settings and check/uncheck the box "auto screen off during calls".

disconfigured likes this.
  3. disconfigured

disconfigured Member
    None

Aug 25, 2010
    Thanks, that's worked for now. Annoying though! Just don't want to reset it if it doesn't need to !

Mikestony likes this.
  4. SUroot

SUroot Extreme Android User
    None

May 25, 2010
    UK Technical Lead; Desktop Support
    Riddlesden, West Yorkshire, UK
    Do another test for me please. On a call, take the phone away from your head. Does the screen come on then?

5. xacto

xacto Member
    None

Oct 17, 2012
    Male
    Romania
    The same started to happen to me too after Jelly Bean update, but it's not consistent, sometimes screen comes on, sometimes it doesn't... Only thing that really worked was to uncheck "screen off during calls," but still annoying..

6. Annoyed82

Annoyed82 Lurker
    None

Jan 8, 2013
    It's become a problem for me as well, however I'm pretty sure it has to do with the fact that the screen on my phone is cracked and one of the cracks happens to be over the sensor. I'm assuming the crack is impeding the proper functioning of the sensor, thereby making it think there is an object in front of it. As a result I can't turn the screen back on unless the call at the other end disconnects. What's odd about this however is that it's not consistent. Sometimes it actually DOES work but for the most part it now doesn't. In any case I've switched off the sensor, which is ok with me.

7. disconfigured

disconfigured Member
    None

Aug 25, 2010
    Nope it doesn't. I've turned the sensor off.
    I've also got a crack in my screen, but it's over the top left hand side (not initially sure where the sensor is but I thought it was on the top right near the camera?)