• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Screwed For Cellular Service

puppykickr

Android Expert
Feb 1, 2019
USA
As some of you may be aware, I was recently screwed out of cellular service by my provider.

If someone asks, I will rehash what that was about.

Anyway, after being without a working cellular for a month, I decided to break down and go with a pre-pay provider that my ol'lady uses- Straight Talk.

The advertised plan claims that for $35 you get unlimited minutes, unlimited texting, and unlimited data (5GB at high speed).

The device was $40.
Airtime must be purchased in order for the device to be activated.

To make a long story shorter, I tried to get my device activated multiple times over the course of 12 hours to no avail.

Oh, and they will not refund the cost of the airtime that I cannot use, unless I can give them a callback number to call me back later.

This would be fine, if I had a phone that worked.
I wouldn't be going through any of this if I had a damn phone that worked.

So now, I have yet another Android device that is Wi-Fi only, except that I effectively paid double for this one ($39.99+ tax for the device, airtime was $39.01 after tax).

Thank God for apps like Dingtone, otherwise I would not have any phone service at all with these things.

You should look into Google Fi. They have plans that start at $20/mo and they have some budget devices that you can even pay over time by adding just a couple bucks to your monthly bill.

It's basically$20 for unlimited talk and text and you pay for just the data you use at a rate of $10 per GB. If you use a lot of data, it might not be in the budget, but if you're mostly a WiFi user your bill stays low. I use less than a GB most every month.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
yikes!!!!!

that sucks.....so straight talk can't do anything for you? have you gone in to a store and ask about it? what about where you bought the phone?

There are no stores.
It is just a wireless service that sells phones at a drastic discount.

After multiple tries, and then another hour on the phone (with Dingtone as my calling app) I finally got my refund.

I cannot get a refund on the device, as it is not returnable if out of the box.

Luckily I purchased the airtime online at the time that I attempted activation.
Airtime cards are not refundable, so if I had done it that way I would be out the $40.

But at any rate, no cellular for me.
I started my Android adventure on Wi-Fi only, and right back to that I go.

Upvote 0
You should look into Google Fi. They have plans that start at $20/mo and they have some budget devices that you can even pay over time by adding just a couple bucks to your monthly bill.

It's basically$20 for unlimited talk and text and you pay for just the data you use at a rate of $10 per GB. If you use a lot of data, it might not be in the budget, but if you're mostly a WiFi user your bill stays low. I use less than a GB most every month.

I would stop using toilet paper if the only manufacturer of toilet paper was Google.

I will do without.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I would stop using toilet paper if the only manufacturer of toilet oaper was Google.

I will do without.
Really makes no sense considering you're using an operating system created by Google.

Fi is just another MVNO, exactly like straight talk and the other dozen or so.

So again, I don't really get your point here.

Upvote 0
Really makes no sense considering you're using an operating system created by Google.

Fi is just another MVNO, exactly like straight talk and the other dozen or so.

So again, I don't really get your point here.

Google sucks, and is the epitome of everything that I dislike.

The Devil gave us the capability of knowlege between good and evil, but that doesn't mean that I would use his cellular service.

Upvote 0
I have a friend who lives in another state and for a couple of years I reloaded her straight talk plan for her,(yes and I was paying for it), never had any issues with service or billing.

Boost Mobile on the other hand, like the TP quote, I would do without ....

My mother uses Boost, and along with sub-par devices, they are overpriced as well.

Upvote 0
Straight talk was sold to Verizon and are in the process of turning off all other users on ST except Verizon users > If you are an ATT or any other tower user, you will start having phone problems. They sent us (two users) emails and voice mails as well as texts that our phones were going to be shut off because they were not 4g phones (they are). We brought out older phone and put the sim cards in and guess what ? They work just fine . They (ST) still hit one of the phones so far repeating the same thing . I called a number and got their recording saying there was a problem with the phone and were checking it. It is back on . I am paid up till April 18 and 17 respectively . It is back on now . Verizon will never be our provider or ST. I hope this helps someone . BTW I was not able nor was ATT store to port our old numbers to the new phones from ATT . ST locked the numbers down and did let us port them. We have had ST for years and this is the way they did loyal customers ...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones