• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Screwed up my phone, where to go from here.

Well I have hacked my phone a bit to much and need to refresh. I am currently running freshrom 1.1. The last couple days everything has started to go downhill. Half my programs crash upon opening, most of my shortcuts don't work, it is lagging like mad. Even my autosync has quite working. I did a reflash of fresh but that didn't cure the problems so I think I need to go a bit more invasive.(it was just the one where it keeps all your data) I am fine with backing up my pics and other things and doing to a complete wipe but just need some guidance on how to do so.

did you make a nandroid backup before you started messing with things? if so, then restore that backup and you should be right back where you once were..

as far as what you did to induce this.. was it setting up app2sd? if so, you'll need to reinstall the apps in order for them to work right. or if you had them working and then removed the SD card without powering down..well... then ya blew it..

if you have no nandroid backup... and the phone is not usable... then simply backup your personal files from the SD card (just to make sure they're safe) and run the RUU program to put it back to out of teh box condition... then re-root and reflash Fresh...of course making sure you make a nandroid backup as soon as you root and before flashing Fresh (or doing ANYTHING besides rooting)

Upvote 0
i will not pretend to know what the issue is...

but here is my guess:
count your apps that you have loaded (not the ones that came with the phone)

do you have more than 70?

if so... you might have to many apps..
some phones have issues with too many apps
which some guess is the problem with android 1.5

good luck

Upvote 0
did you make a nandroid backup before you started messing with things? if so, then restore that backup and you should be right back where you once were..

Sure did. Of course I forgot about it and deleted it when I upgraded SD cards.

as far as what you did to induce this.. was it setting up app2sd? if so, you'll need to reinstall the apps in order for them to work right. or if you had them working and then removed the SD card without powering down..well... then ya blew it..

I don't use apps2sd. The Hero has more than enough memory for apps IMHO.

RUU program

Aaahh. I had forgot about that. Here is the link for anyone else who needs it. If nothing else this will give me a chance to try out the autoroot in the new kitchen.

This just feels so weird not to know what to do off hand. I used to be way to into this stuff bad in the WM days. I used to flash my Diamond at least once a week. Now I have just gotten busy with life and haven't been able to keep up with it like I would like. I will work on it after I get home from getting the kids from school.

Upvote 0
I got it, sort of. Got to messing around with the bootloader and found the delete, boot to stock option. Did that and it wiped it out and booted to some weird combo of Fresh and stock. It had only the stock programs but had the fresh taskbar and bottom bar. Rebooted back to the loader and flashed fresh again and I have it back to a stock fresh install and wireless tether is working again. Now for the tedious process of installing all my programs, at least the market remembers them all.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones