1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Screwed up sd card upgrade

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by wjburl, Jun 24, 2013.

1. wjburl

wjburl Lurker

I wanted to upgrade my sd card to a larger card. I removed the card without unmounting (missed that step in the procedure) it, copied it to a desktop HDD, copied those contents to the new card and reinserted the card into the phone. I did power down before I removed the card and inserted the new card. The mp3 players no longer see my music. I put the old card back and it has the same problem. The files are all there, but I guess the pointers to those have gone. Is there a way to recover?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Mikestony

Mikestony ~30% Carbon Black ±
    VIP Member

Welcome wjburl!
    Did you format the new card before putting your files onto it?
    What size/type of card did you buy?

Can your media player be set to look for the files on the external sd card again?
    What media player are you using?

Sorry for all the questions :)

3. funkylogik

funkylogik share the love peeps ;)

And will your pc play the files from the SD's?

4. wjburl

wjburl Lurker

The card showed up as being formatted as FAT32. I just unmounted and removed it again, reformatted as FAT32 and I'm in the process of recopying the files back from my HDD. I could see pics, but I didn't checked to see if they all visible. I've tried several players - Google Player, Amazon MP3, Winamp, DoubleTwist, etc. I don't know if any of these can rebuild the library or not. Do you know of one that will?

5. wjburl

wjburl Lurker

Oops, if forgot to mention that I upgraded from 16GB to 32GB. Both are SanDisk. Thanks for the response.

6. wjburl

wjburl Lurker

I can play the files from the PC.

7. Mikestony

Mikestony ~30% Carbon Black ±
    VIP Member

Not sure about those players...I use PowerAmp myself.
    Try it for free for 14 days I think:)
    That app will allow you to point to where your music is :)

You may just like it enough to purchase it, but at least you can try it to see if it will work on your new sd card. :)

8. wjburl

wjburl Lurker

PowerAmp found my Music, now I have figure out a convenient way to build my playlists. I have some built in WMP and it would be nice if I could import those. I may continue to use this program. Thanks.

Mikestony likes this.
  9. funkylogik

Poweramp is really good for choosing which folders you want it to recognise and which ones you dont :thumbup:
    As for WMP.. is that windows media player? Im terrible with computers but cant they just be made into just normal mp3? (Hoping to learn something here about computery stuff lol) :)

10. wjburl

wjburl Lurker

It is Windows Media Player. They do play mp3 plus other formats (including videos). I've been using it to build a library and exporting it to the Galaxy S3 via USB. It worked fine with all the other players until this mishap.

funkylogik likes this.
  11. funkylogik

Thanks man :beer:

12. wjburl

wjburl Lurker

I did some more work and had a lot of success with DoubleTwist. I didn't have to rebuild my playlists with DoubleTwist and the other players saw what I was able to sync with DoubleTwist. I installed their Windows app on my PC, it saw my WMP library and synced via WiFi with their AirSync. I may not keep PowerAmp after all. Looks like I'm back in business!!! All this work because I didn't do an unmount?

13. Palmetto Fellow

Palmetto Fellow Android Expert

Just so I am clear on this...do we need to unmount the SD card if we turn off the S3 before removing the SD card?

14. wjburl

wjburl Lurker

I removed my card after I powered it down, but without doing an unmount and I had all kinds of grief. I don't know if it was just coincidence or not. I put the original card back and I still wasn't able to see my music. I have removed the card without an unmount just to do a backup with no problems. Bottom line is I really don't know the correct answer, but I'm just relaying my experiences.

Samsung Galaxy S3 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S3 release date was May 2012. Features and Specs include a 4.8" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Exynos 4412 Quad processor, and 2100mAh battery.

May 2012
Release Date
Reviews