1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Scrollable News Widget

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by foo, Dec 23, 2011.

1. foo

foo Android Enthusiast

https://market.android.com/details?id=fr.gdi.android.news

I've always loved using this free RSS feed widget. I can't seem to get it to work on ICS. It installs & you can add the widget + add your feeds, but when you tell it to "save config & update", the widget never updates.

Has anyone who uses this tried with any success? :thinking:

Also, does anyone have another recommendation for a free RSS widget I could use (that allows me to put in a custom RSS feed(s)) & works in ICS?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. RyanB

RyanB Guest

Uh oh. I use that (it comprises 3 of my 5 widgets), and am hoping to land a GNex for Christmas. Have you tried using it with a 3rd party launcher, like Go or ADW? Also, have you emailed the dev to see if/when it is planned to update it for ICS?

foo likes this.
  3. foo

foo Android Enthusiast

Ya I use it quite a bit too. Yep...I've e-mailed him, but as I expected, no answer as of yet.

Nope, I haven't tried it with other launchers - good idea. I imagine it has to do with scrolling widget settings, but it seems ICS supports that on its stock launcher (i think). I'll keep trying other things to see if I can get it to work

4. foo

foo Android Enthusiast

Does NOT work on Nova launcher either. I imagine it'll work fine if you put GO or LP or ADW on there. None of those 3 have been updated to support ICS properly, iirc, but I hope one or two of those will in the near future.

5. RyanB

RyanB Guest

Well it's a shot in the dark, but I recall that older versions of Android don't natively support scrolling widgets, so most competent launchers pick up that slack, so I figure it can't hurt. That, and you seem fairly eager to play the roll of the guinea pig :D Do post back and let us know how you make out with it.

6. Adauth

Adauth Android Expert

Pulse maybe?

foo likes this.
  7. foo

foo Android Enthusiast

Had my hopes up but it doesn't look like you can insert a custom rss feed url. only pre added ones :(

8. foo

foo Android Enthusiast

Actually, you can add a custom RSS (they don't make it very intuitive), but as with other apps, I still don't see a widget in the new ICS widget section.

It does work at least when going into the app. Thanks for the suggestion. It'll suffice for now.

edit: yes there is a working pulse custom rss feed widget. you have to add a new one for each feed you want on a homescreen. not the best but it's what i have to work with for now