1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Scuba/Free-diving depth gauge app?

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by chewedpup, Jul 28, 2011.

1. chewedpup

chewedpup Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 18, 2010
    the wonders of Android are just becoming apparent to me. Yes I have loads of apps that I mess around with - but having just used GPS Essentials in the Keys on my phone and locating dive sites etc. I was absolutely amazed. I just ordered the new Evo 3D and I'm thinking, what will protect my phone if it gets wet - find out they have waterproof cases that can go to 100 ft. So I'm thinking, well, that's fantastic - but do they have any kind of app that can work as a depth gauge? So if I'm free diving with my phone, it will tell me how deep I'm going (probably not deeper than 30 feet)? I know there are scuba apps coming out where apparently it will log your dive (at least I think this is the case), but I wouldn't need an app that advanced - right now, just want to see how deep I can free dive to. Or just a depth gauge - or anything scuba related. Anyone? Has anyone used FlytoMap apps? Are they any good?

Advertisement

2. John Redcorn

John Redcorn Android Enthusiast
    None

May 9, 2011
    I've heard and I have no idea why this is, that the altitude reading on gps has significantly more error than the lat/long.

What does it show your altitude as being on the boat or beach?

And I wonder if it can even get a gps signal under that much water.

I don't know all the maths behind how a position is calculated from the satellite pings but to me it would seem like it would be impossible to calculate only a 2D, x/y, lat/long position from 4+ satellites way high up and in different positions, you'd have to have altitude calculated too and it should be just as accurate but I really have no clue what I'm talking about.

3. wayrad

wayrad Android Expert
    None

May 12, 2010
    Female
    Long Island
    Your phone won't get a GPS signal underwater.