• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

SD back, but without Marshmallow feature

The ability not to use the Adoptive Memory feature of Marshmallow, where an SD card can be formatted to act as internal memory, may be a DEAL BREAKER for me! Can others confirm if this is true or not? Come on Samsung, I thought you had LISTENED to your customers.....no 128GB internal memory option at least if Adoptive Memory is not allowed?

If the S7 had 128GB internal memory this would not matter , but ONLY 32GB internal memory, without any other options, is pathetic! My poor 16GB S5 Active, which I love, is totally full even with a 64GB SD card. I can't even update ATT updates let alone a later version of Android. I'm a power user so right now I would need 60GB just to install my existing apps, etc on a new phone, and I don't even know if I can install the apps on Marshmallow SD card that I can on my S5 SD card - does anyone know this?

So, NO SAMSUNG, or LG G5, FOR ME (hopefully the reports are wrong or this feature will be updated SOON). Looking at upcoming Sony, HTC and Motorola phones that will HOPEFULLY have Adoptive Memory. Otherwise will just keep my full but useable S5 and hope for a better phone in 2017!

Does anyone know if you can still install SOME apps onto the SD card as can be done in Android 4.4?

Thanks for anyone who may have this information.

Upvote 0
The last article I read said that the GS7 will not support adoptive memory but who knows in the future if they might enable it via firmware update. I certainly see the utility in it, but I likely wouldn't use it since I use the extra memory primarily to store music/photos/docs. I've only seen the 32GB for pre-order so it would suck for people who like to save a number of games since the 32GB would fill up very fast. There is still eventually going to be a 64GB version right? Or did I misread.

My Note 4 has 32GB and a 128GB microSD card. I have about 7GB remaining internally, and about 20GB remaining on my microSD card.

Upvote 0
The lack of this feature. Will cause me to go to something else. I was considering this even though I really wanted a 64 gig phone. I can not see why this is only a 32 gig to begin with. It is suppose to be a top of the line phone. 32 gig is too small and with out the adaptive memory feature it is useless to me. I would rather have the lack of a micro sd slot and a 128 gig option like the S6.

Upvote 0
According to AndroidCentral the S7 models do not include the Marshmallow option of incorporating your microSD card as a full extension of the phone's storage.

Now personally it's a feature I'd rather not use - I'd prefer the flexibility of not having it encrypted and being able to use it in any device. But do others disagree?
Not an issue for me! 64GB (will have choice of 32-64GB here in states) will be enough for stuff that can't be put on the microSD card. I put my pictures, video, music and other files on the SD card. I have a 128GB ready to use right now that's in my Note 4. That is more than enough.

BTW Hadron, I got booted off the AndroidCentral forum twice now the past year. :( The moderators over there are waaaay too strict and controlling over there... never had a problem on this forum. I actually posted the same exact thing on this forum that I got banned for over there.

Upvote 0
Thank you because I wasn't sure after reading a few articles on this topic. Perhaps Google will allow the adoptive SD support with future software updates?
Nothing to do with Google. They provide the feature, Samsung decide to remove it.

LG have done the same with the G5 by the way.

Upvote 0
BTW Hadron, I got booted off the AndroidCentral forum twice now the past year. :( The moderators over there are waaaay too strict and controlling over there... never had a problem on this forum. I actually posted the same exact thing on this forum that I got banned for over there.
Well I guess it's up to them how they play things ("their house, their rules" as EarlyMon would say), but yeah, they do wield the ban hammer more freely than we do here :(.

Upvote 0
Here are my totals

Attachments

• 1456453129767.jpg
    1456453129767.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 218
Upvote 0
Not an issue for me! 64GB (will have choice of 32-64GB here in states) will be enough for stuff that can't be put on the microSD card. I put my pictures, video, music and other files on the SD card. I have a 128GB ready to use right now that's in my Note 4. That is more than enough.

Hate to be the bearer of bad tidings,but,US Carrier models only come in the 32GB flavor:
http://phandroid.com/2016/02/23/samsung-galaxy-s7-edge-pre-order/

Verizon
AT&T
T-Mobile
Sprint

Upvote 0
Well, no matter... 32GB is still enough as I only use half that on my current Note 4. I'll have 128GB microSD that will be more than enough for my photos/music/videos. I'm just glad they brought back the microSD support.

The Best Buy is misleading then as on their Huge Samsung poster, they list 32/64GB.
I'll take a picture next time I'm there.

Reactions: KOLIO
Upvote 0
Well, no matter... 32GB is still enough as I only use half that on my current Note 4. I'll have 128GB microSD that will be more than enough for my photos/music/videos. I'm just glad they brought back the microSD support.

The Best Buy is misleading then as on their Huge Samsung poster, they list 32/64GB.
I'll take a picture next time I'm there.
They may very well sell the 64GB option,but,an unlocked/carrier free model,as they do sell some of those currently on other models.............

Upvote 0
"Apparently many manufacturers are concerned about the durability of existing SD cards when they are facing extensive read/write/caching activity in this mode. Any failure of these cards would create major issues across the phone."

Hmm sounds a bit of a serious risk if falils, or sd card getting corrupt or lost. Before it becomes mainstream would need serious testing.

Upvote 0
Size of apps are only growing I am downloading mortal kombat which is 1.25 gigs. I had to delete some apps to make it fit and transfer some. I would like to see a 128 gig internal and a slot for a 200 gig micro sd.

I am leaning towards the v10 at this point unless htc offers more storage than what is rumored at the moment.
You're right. It is ridiculous. It still doesn't make sense why they wouldn't release a 64gb in the US

Upvote 0
" I've read somewhere that Samsung decided not to implement Marshmallow's storage feature which virtually merges the device storage with the SD card. Official ;) reason for that is that they think most of their users will use the SD card for file transfer between devices. If you were to use the 6.0 feature that SD card becomes part of the system (I think). Source: ARS Technica."

Sent from my GT-I9505G using XDA Premium HD app

Upvote 0
It still doesn't make sense why they wouldn't release a 64gb in the US

The 64GB variant won't be available anywhere at launch. Only the 32GB is listed currently for pre-order on Samsung's website.

As to why no 128GB option... lack of demand. We've got over a dozen 128GB iPhone 6S and five 128GB S6/S6 Edge sitting gathering dust in our stock safe 'cos nobody wants to pay the asking price(s). Every unsold handset is ultimately returned and generates a loss for the manufacturer.

Reactions: KOLIO
Upvote 0
I have an iPhone 6+ with 64gb of space and since release still have 25.5gb free and its not like I am not using it. I have 989 songs, 40 videos, 2026 photos and 87 apps.

So I used 30gb in all this time and if you move all the songs, videos and photos to a sd card, I would have used maybe 10-15gb.

I do have have 21 games out of the 87 apps and some are decent size like Mortal Kombat 1 gb, Rage HD over 1gb, Infinity Blade 3 2 gb, etc...

I know some use their phones differently, but for the majority of people 32gb with external storage they should be fine.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones