• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root SD bind with boot buddy script

KA24DERACER

Jul 19, 2011
Sacramento, CA
hey all, so as far as Im aware, there are only two ways to keep app data on the external SD card. Directory Bind, which I have heard stinks, and using a remount script with boot buddy.

My question: how would I use boot buddy to JUST remount my app data folders to my external SD card. I dont really want to mount my whole internal SD card, just the large app data storages. Can anyone tell me how to do this or write me a script for it (perhaps a general script which I could just fill in the folders I want to transfer).

Thanks for any help

hey all, so as far as Im aware, there are only two ways to keep app data on the external SD card. Directory Bind, which I have heard stinks, and using a remount script with boot buddy.

My question: how would I use boot buddy to JUST remount my app data folders to my external SD card. I dont really want to mount my whole internal SD card, just the large app data storages. Can anyone tell me how to do this or write me a script for it (perhaps a general script which I could just fill in the folders I want to transfer).
Thanks for any help

just move folders from internal fs to the new sd location as it says on the guide version

Upvote 0
I wrote up a small script that you can use, named rebind_dirs.sh. Just put that in your Boot Buddy directory. It basically performs the same function as the app "directory bind", but it will bind the directories much earlier in the startup process.

You will also need to tell it which directories you want to bind. Create an empty file on your sdcard named rebind_dirs.txt.
(/mnt/sdcard/external_sd/rebind_dirs.txt)

In that file put the directory names you want to bind, for example:
Code:
Download
DCIM
This script will not move or overwrite any files. It will simply mirror directories within internal storage to your sdcard.
(/mnt/sdcard/DCIM -> /mnt/sdcard/external_sd/DCIM)

Cheers :)

For reference:
Video on using directory bind
Guide to remounting your entire sdcard to /mnt/sdcard

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones