• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help SD card access problems with Android 5.x

franzschenk

Lurker
Feb 28, 2016
Use the Audials App that stores recordings in a folder on the SD card "sdcard1/android/data/audials/files/music". Can play this music from Audials or ES file explorer, but only one song after another. But all this music is never added to the stock music player, nor to Google play music and not to the VLC player. Can not select "sdcard1/android/data/audials/files/music" as directory in all these players. The mentioned directory is either not visible, or is greyed out and can not be selected. All hints on the Web (clear cache / data in the music apps, reboot phone) do not help.

Since it is not possible to change the directory in the Audials application (can only select subdirectories below .../data/audials..., but can not go further up in the directory structure), The only solution I found was to copy all the music to a folder "sdcard1/music". With this, all the media players work and find the music. But my music is stored twice on the SD card, and I have to manually copy new recordings to "sdcard1/music". A very bad solution.

I don't know if this is a Honor 5x problem, or a problem on all unrooted Androis 5.x phones. I don't have this problem at all on my rooted Galaxy S3 with Archidroid V3.15 ROM, which is also Android 5.x.

Is there any better solution for this problem? Or is SD card support in Android 5.x really so bad and complicated, or only on the Honor 5x? Thank you in advance for any hint.

Franz

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones