1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support SD Card Access/Unmount Issues

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by tacullen, Oct 29, 2011.

1. tacullen

tacullen Lurker
    None

Sep 1, 2010
    My phone shows SD card "read-only or not mounted" but it seems to be mounted b/c I can see files in Astro, but apps can't access the SD to write or play audiobooks, music, etc. I also cannot "unmount" using the phone, and running myBackup fails. I took the card to my pc and the card mounts fine as a disk drive and I backed it up, thinking I would format the SD, but the phone won't format because it is mounted and won't unmount. Should I format in the PC and what if so what file system do I choose?

Advertisement

2. tacullen

tacullen Lurker
    None

Sep 1, 2010
    My phone shows the SD card as "read-only or not mounted" and it seems to be mounted b/c I can see files in Astro, but apps can't access the SD to write or play audiobooks, music, etc. But I also cannot "unmount" using the phone, and running myBackup fails. I took the card to my pc and the card mounts fine as a disk drive and I backed up the files, but since the phone won't format it because it is mounted and it won't unmount, should I format in the PC and if so what file system do I use?

3. sdrawkcab25

sdrawkcab25 Android Expert

Aug 5, 2010
    Male
    PA
    Format it in the PC to fat32 preferably.

tacullen likes this.
  4. melcher70

melcher70 Newbie
    None

Apr 7, 2011
    I'm having this problem too.. I have a mac and just ran disk utility repair to see if that helps.. so far so good. I also have the SD card backed up on my Mac. Question is, if I do need to reformat, can I just copy the backed up data to the reformatted card, and expect everything to work fine?