1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support SD Card and Insufficient Storage Problem

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by baconpancakes, Mar 23, 2016.

1. baconpancakes

baconpancakes Lurker
    None

Mar 23, 2016
    Female
    hi, everyone.

i have a 16GB samsung galaxy s5, fully upgraded to android 5.0 lollipop, not rooted. i've had it for a year and a half. this has never happened before.
    yesterday it froze for a good half hour. i couldn't even unlock it. i tried to restart it several times, to no avail, so i took out the battery, put it back, and waited 60 seconds to turn my phone back on. that has happened before, so i knew what to do and thought everything would be fine; no big whoop.

when i rebooted the phone, it was unable to read my SD card. the system says my SD card is blank (which it is not). all of the apps i had moved to it are unusable. and i couldn't even re-download the apps because the system was saying it had insufficient space to even function properly.
    fairly confusing.

i'm fine with my apps being gone, considering all of my app account data gets saved on google play, so my friend performed a soft reset on the phone to see if that would help (since it obviously isn't a problem with the SD card).

the "blank SD card" problem still persists, and my phone still keeps trying to tell me that it has insufficient space to even function.

pardon my french, but what the hell am i supposed to do?
    what the hell happened to my phone when it froze?

help. :(

EDIT: i deleted quite a few pictures & other things that may have been taking up my internal space, but i still only have 660 MB when i should have ~5 gigs.

Advertisement

#1 baconpancakes, Mar 23, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2016
  2. Fox Mulder

VIP Member

Feb 19, 2012
    NYC
    How do you know it isn't a problem with the card?
    I'd try taking the card out and booting the phone, and see if it behaves then. If it does you'll know the problem is in fact the card. When they fail they can cause all sorts of problems with the phone because it's trying to access the card and can't so it freezes up and does other bad stuff.
    Also try the card in a PC and see if it works there. If you have another card handy put that in the phone and see if it works normally.

mikedt, AZgl1500 and scary alien like this.
  3. baconpancakes

baconpancakes Lurker
    None

Mar 23, 2016
    Female
    it doesn't seem like it would be, since a failing SD card wouldn't cause an internal storage problem and it wouldn't have failed so abruptly. i definitely would've seen some pre-fail signs that i just didn't. but i'll test it out on a PC adapter when i get my hands on one.

4. AZgl1500

AZgl1500 Android Expert
    None

Feb 3, 2011
    Male
    Retired and loving it.
    Oklahoma grasslands
    it is bad practice to move apps to the SD card, that causes problems.... not all of the app is moved, only part of it...

I just don't, and my S5s have never had any problems like you are experiencing.

mikedt likes this.
  5. Hadron

Hadron  
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    Actually you are wrong to say you would definitely see some signs before the failure. I had a microSD (genuine Samsung, lightly used) fail abruptly in February, and it quite literally just died with no warning while I was listening to music.

As Fox says, stick the card in a card reader and see whether a computer can read it (or whether you can recover data if not). It's always better to check than to assume.

AZgl1500, chanchan05 and mikedt like this.
  6. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Sep 22, 2010
    Teachaaa
    Jinan, China
    Oh SDs and anything else that uses flash storage can fail at any time, and sometimes without warning. And in fact they can and will eventually fail, as writing to EEPROM is a destructive process and does literally wear it out. Sometimes it can switch to read only mode if it detects it's failing, so you might get a chance to save your data. I had a Sandisk 32GB USB flash drive do that a while back, go read only.
    usb.jpg

And another poster recently reported an apparently 4 month old 64GB SD fail in this manner, went read only.

#6 mikedt, Mar 23, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2016
    Hadron likes this.
  7. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Jun 30, 2011
    Male
    Yup, Hadron is right that you have been misinformed.
    1. Yes an SD card can cause internal storage problems when you have apps residing in both SD and internal memory, which you do. Moving an app to SD card only moves it partially. Hence, the system is accessing internal memory which redirects it to a bad SD card, causing internal memory issues.
    2. SD cards fail abruptly even when new. I had a 6mo old SD card fail suddenly on me once. Then I also have a 2 year old SD card that is working fine.

Hadron likes this.