• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root SD card and phone full

kmeyers

Lurker
Jun 3, 2010
So I go to put new music on my phone..I take the old stuff off and start adding new. All of the sudden a memory full message appears...I only have 3.5MB left on the SD card. How is this possible? I went through the new songs and removed them all....Still only have 3.5MB on the SD card...I removed some apps and checked with my file explorer that I was indeed removing items. Unmounted and remounted the card and still only 3.5MB. Anyone have any suggestions? As of now I have total space 7.39GB and available space 3.62MB..internal memory is 16.25MB and after I delete some stuff off both the SD card and internal memory..nothing happens to the amount of space I should then have.

Just a hint - I had all my MP3's at ridiculously high resolutions (192 to 320 kbit/s) which was a total space waster. I batch downgraded each MP3 (about 13gigs worth) to 128 kbit/s and saved about 6 gigs of space. I believe 128 (or maybe it is 96?) is the best the Droid will play anyway. Anything higher is just wasting space (with 1000's of MP3's it adds up quickly). I used Easy CDDA Extractor to do the converting but there are many such programs available.

Reactions: kmeyers
Upvote 0
Just a hint - I had all my MP3's at ridiculously high resolutions (192 to 320 kbit/s) which was a total space waster. I batch downgraded each MP3 (about 13gigs worth) to 128 kbit/s and saved about 6 gigs of space. I believe 128 (or maybe it is 96?) is the best the Droid will play anyway. Anything higher is just wasting space (with 1000's of MP3's it adds up quickly). I used Easy CDDA Extractor to do the converting but there are many such programs available.

That's impossible. I've never heard of that with ANY music player. What's your source? I may do a comparison between an MP3-128 and a FLAC file one day, but I seriously doubt that they'll sound the same. 128 is baaaaaaaad...

Upvote 0

UUUUUUUUUUGGGHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!

Are you freakin' kidding me??? 128kbps sounds TERRIBLE!!! My whole library (over 200 Gigs) is ripped at 192kbps. And for the record, the DROID plays them just fine. I don't know where you got the idea that the DROID has a cap for playing mp3s. :thinking: It's simply not try as well.

Put the crack pipe down!!!

Reactions: inssane
Upvote 0

Are you freakin' kidding me??? 128kbps sounds TERRIBLE!!! My whole library (over 200 Gigs) is ripped at 192kbps. And for the record, the DROID plays them just fine. I don't know where you got the idea that the DROID has a cap for playing mp3s. :thinking: It's simply not try as well.

I don't know about a kbps limit on the droid, however let's cut Shrink some slack here... Some of us don't have the ears that others do, I personally can not hear the difference between 128kbps and 192kbps... My fiance on the other hand is a singer and can hear the difference in pretty much a one kbps loss (might be an exageration but you get the point :p)...

Just saying there are those of us who are happy with 128kbps and if it saves a ton of space then what is the worry?

Upvote 0

Joe - I think you already emptied the crack pipe and don't put words into my mouth. Had a bad day and need to vent a little??? Consider a more mature response next time. Even if I don't agree with a post I don't go out of my way to be offensive and abrasive.

I am not saying that the Droid won't play higher sampled audio (it will also play 320 just fine). What I am saying is it does not play them at the top sampled rate. It plays them at 128 (or I think a bit less) regardless of the MP3 file. I've played keyboards professionally for more years than I care to admit, have a pretty extensive home studio (used to demo software for Twelvetone (cakewalk) and keyboards for Korg. Did a lot of soundtracking over my years. Sure, 192 is much better than 128 (all my stuff on my PC remains at 320) but on our phones once you get to a certain point it makes no difference. I have compared music samples (though studio headphones) and yea, go down to 64 and you will hear a difference. Go higher than 128 and no change in the output so you will not see a degradation in your MP3s ON YOUR DROID at the lower rate.

Reactions: inssane
Upvote 0
Joe - I think you already emptied the crack pipe and don't put words into my mouth. Had a bad day and need to vent a little??? Consider a more mature response next time. Even if I don't agree with a post I don't go out of my way to be offensive and abrasive.

I'm not putting words in your mouth. You keep insisting that the DROID won't play 192 kbps files at 192 kbps, and you're simply wrong. You say you're a musician and you record ... but you say things that are simply not true. Do you even understand what an .mp3 is?!?!?

I am not saying that the Droid won't play higher sampled audio (it will also play 320 just fine). What I am saying is it does not play them at the top sampled rate. It plays them at 128 (or I think a bit less) regardless of the MP3 file.

Again ... the above statement is FALSE. :(

Sure, 192 is much better than 128 (all my stuff on my PC remains at 320) but on our phones once you get to a certain point it makes no difference. I have compared music samples (though studio headphones) and yea, go down to 64 and you will hear a difference. Go higher than 128 and no change in the output so you will not see a degradation in your MP3s ON YOUR DROID at the lower rate.

Well, I guess I own a SUPER DROID then. :rolleyes: I just compared 128 kbps files to 192 kbps files, and the difference was obvious ... just as I suspected. Your comments suggest that the DROID has a cap on the kbps, or does some kind of on-the-fly compression, which is absurd.

Upvote 0
I'm not putting words in your mouth. You keep insisting that the DROID won't play 192 kbps files at 192 kbps, and you're simply wrong. You say you're a musician and you record ... but you say things that are simply not true. Do you even understand what an .mp3 is?!?!?

Again ... the above statement is FALSE. :(

Well, I guess I own a SUPER DROID then. :rolleyes: I just compared 128 kbps files to 192 kbps files, and the difference was obvious ... just as I suspected. Your comments suggest that the DROID has a cap on the kbps, or does some kind of on-the-fly compression, which is absurd.

Are you always so condescending Joe? I guess you are credible because your profile photo has you holding your axe (I'm sure impressed - must drive the teenage girls wild). Damn Joe, what is an MP3? Wasn't that a British sports care in the 60's??? If I get a chance I will try and dig up articles on the futility of playing higher res samples beyond a devices capacity to play at such res (Droid, Zune and iPods were mentioned specifically). Just for giggles I have scoped the same sound fragment at 192 and 128 and (I am not saying the sample qualities are the same so pay attention Joe!) but the output quality and range were identical (using TrueRTA on the PC and again with a free standing scope). That is as objective as I can get.

Hey Joe (no offense to Hendrix), if it makes you happy, sure, whatever you say is right. I see that is real important to you. Go play your guitar and have a nice day :D Not that it isn't thrilling being engaged with you in such enlightened discourse, I am going to end my involvement in this pissing match right now. I find the upcoming release of 2.2 far more interesting and worth my time...

Upvote 0
One thing I've been noticing is that my SDcard has been filling up quickly without me adding much of anything to it. Check out your backup folder, you may have a ton of ROM backups. (my Clockwork folder had nearly 7Gig worth!). I had maybe 20 there and deleted everything that was a month old. Really helped out.

Upvote 0
recently rooted my evo, now i cannot take photos or videos....says sd card full...it's my twin grandsons bday and i need to take pictures. HELP!!!!
This has nothing to do with root. Try restarting the device. Anything else should probably be asked in the evo section, as you've already been posting there; this is because you'll probably get more help specifically for your device there.

good luck

Reactions: LADYLEE
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones