• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

SD Card Audio File Doesn't Keep Position

startac4

Apr 13, 2020
When I play audio in a folder on main storage and press "pause", it keeps its place in the audio file even if I switch to other programs (e.g. Contact or Messages). When I want to switch back, Music program has the audio file still open. And it remembers where it was when I pressed "pause" and resumes from that spot.

But when the audio file is in a folder on the SD Card, I can't switch back to it. It "loses" the whole file and I have to re-select it from its folder and restart it from the beginning. Apparently this is a bug in Android's handling of SD Card audio files. Has anyone come up with a circumvention to get Android to keep the audio file open - and at the place where I pressed "pause"? Failing that I'll have to keep having all audio files take up space in the main storage.

This is an issue with your music /audio application, nothing to do with how android works.
Find a different music player that accomplishes what you seek.
Personally, I use Pulsar + as my default music player, and all of my music files reside on the external SD card. Never an issue what you speak of.

Upvote 0
When I play audio in a folder on main storage and press "pause", it keeps its place in the audio file even if I switch to other programs (e.g. Contact or Messages). When I want to switch back, Music program has the audio file still open. And it remembers where it was when I pressed "pause" and resumes from that spot.

But when the audio file is in a folder on the SD Card, I can't switch back to it. It "loses" the whole file and I have to re-select it from its folder and restart it from the beginning. Apparently this is a bug in Android's handling of SD Card audio files. Has anyone come up with a circumvention to get Android to keep the audio file open - and at the place where I pressed "pause"? Failing that I'll have to keep having all audio files take up space in the main storage.

I don't think so. Quite frankly it sounds more like an issue with the whatever it is music app you're using on your phone or tablet.

When I'm playing songs with my music player(Foorbar2000) I want them to always start at the beginning. On the other hand, when I'm listening to podcasts, I want them to resume from where they left off, and keep their place. I use AntennaPod, and that has no problems if the podcasts are on the SD.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones