1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support SD card backup to PC - help

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by fabrav, Sep 20, 2011.

1. fabrav

fabrav Newbie
    None

Feb 7, 2011
    Hi , please could someone tell me how to easily check whats on my SD card from my PC - not from my phone ? i need to basically backup everything on the SD card only (not the phone) to my PC and then insert a new micro sd card into my phone and restore it to the card from my PC and leave everything on my phone as it is.
    I have tried using a microsd adapter but for some reason my PC doesnt even read this adapter ( i have checked it works ok)
    Whats the easiest way to do this ? i have connected my desire hd to my pc via usb as a hard drive so i can see the contents of the "device" - but this doesnt tell me what is on the phone and what is on the card.....

Advertisement

2. T.M.M.L

T.M.M.L Android Enthusiast
    None

Sep 20, 2010
    Ohio
    Greetings fabrav,

I believe that when you connect your phone to your pc, it normally only sees the SD card. A easy way to test this, is to remove your SD card and then connect your phone to the PC.

If your PC sees the SD card, then its just a matter of drag and drop to copy the files to your computer.

Make sure you use your phone to format the new card, before you copy over the files.

This should be under your storage options in your settings. Press the menu key, select settings and somewhere in there should be a storage option. Be careful when your formatting the card, just make sure you've got the right storage option selected.

3. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

Jun 12, 2010
    Male
    IT
    Pennsylvania
    *moved to HTC Desire HD forum*

When you mount your phone as storage, that is mounting the SD card. The only thing you have to make sure of is if you are backing up the entire contents of the SD card, you need to include hidden and system files.

From windows 7/vista in the window that displays the mounted files go to organize (upper left corner of window below the address bar) and choose folder and search options. Click on the view tab and check the button next to show hidden files and folders and uncheck the box that says hide system and protected files. On XP go to tools> folder options. The rest is the same.

Once you can display all the files you copy them all to a folder on your PC. Then copy them all to the new SD card (you should be able to use the card reader, if you know it works.) make sure to unmount the sd card cleanly or the phone may have problems reading it.