• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root SD card broken, may need to format

evomattnc

Android Expert
Feb 10, 2011
NC
So I woke up to an interesting message. I didnt do anything at all. Charged my phone, unplugged it, set to airplane mode, turned off screen and went to bed. Woke up to sd card broken, may need to format and none of my widgets loaded. I did a reboot and it seemed to have "fixed" the issue, of course i had to reinstall all my widgets.

Basically leads me to wanting to back up my sd card in case it actually ever does break. So my questions are...what folders do I need to back up?or should I just drag the entire sd card onto my laptop? And while Im at it should i go ahead and partition the card? What are the benefits to partitioning?

The more experienced will probably be along shortly. But there is some info they'll need: what kind of card and what ROM/kernel are you running. As far as partitioning, it's only needed if your going to run A2SD. Depending on your answer to what kind of card you have, it might not be beneficial to you at all. When I made the backup of my SD before partitioning, I just saved my images, music, and nandroids.

Upvote 0
Yeah I just read/skimmed all the info akaza put up about partitioning. Its a big read.

Anyhow i still have the stock card but i was going to grab the patriot 16gb this coming weekend. Guess ill have to order it, best buy doesnt carry such a thing they have low class san cards.

So it looks like i dont need to partition yet till i grab a better card. Also i dont have any real space concerns lookin at 4.8 gb free on an 8 gb card and 240mb internal free so probably dont need the custom mtd mod either.

Guess I just need to back up my card, format it, and then reload all the important folders...any guidance in doing this? Guess if I dont know exactly what it is i wont delete it.

Upvote 0
Maybe an issue with nighly 13 then, i also updated to nightly 13 yesterday, i suspected that may have been a contributing factor but the cause was immaterial really. Everything works fine after a reboot. It just inspired me to find out about backing up my sd card and partitioning.

Upvote 0
Anyhow i still have the stock card but i was going to grab the patriot 16gb this coming weekend. Guess ill have to order it, best buy doesnt carry such a thing they have low class san cards.

I would suggest getting it from Amazon. I ordered one about 2 weeks ago and it took 3-4 days to get it. Best price I could find($40 with shipping) for a 16gb class 10 card.

Upvote 0
I would suggest getting it from Amazon. I ordered one about 2 weeks ago and it took 3-4 days to get it. Best price I could find($40 with shipping) for a 16gb class 10 card.

Thanks for the tip xtreme, that will likely be my route then.

Are you liking the patriot? did you go ahead and partition and use a2sd? notice any differences in performance or otherwise?

Upvote 0
Maybe an issue with nighly 13 then, i also updated to nightly 13 yesterday, i suspected that may have been a contributing factor but the cause was immaterial really. Everything works fine after a reboot. It just inspired me to find out about backing up my sd card and partitioning.

it will probably comeback as showing damaged, it did on mine, when i tried to change to a Sense rom. I have been looking at getting a bigger SD card to, 40 dollars does not seem ro bad of a deal

Upvote 0
Reactions: evomattnc
Upvote 0
I also recommend the Patriot class 10 cards. I'm using the 16GB with Darktremors A2SD and haven't had a single issue with any of the ROM's I've tried lately. I bought mine from Newegg but I also had a coupon code from work so I got it fairly cheap. I think normal retail through Newegg is around $45 shipped.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones