1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support SD Card compatability

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Seanalf, Aug 14, 2011.

1. Seanalf

Seanalf Newbie
    None

Aug 14, 2011
    Hi Guys
    I am having real problems with a SD upgrade. I shall attempt to explain and hopefully someone can shed som light on what is becoming a very rapidly frustrating problem.

I bought a 16gb SDHC micro card to upgrade the 8gb in the Sensation. I took the music file (6.71gb) and copied it to my pc from my Xperia X10i directly. I then copied the file straight from my pc to the SD card as showing in explorer. I am running Windows 7 ultimate. The computer went on its merry way and told me it had copied all files. When I checked the folder before disconnecting, it was showing all files. This is when the problems start. Once I re-mount the SD card and try to access the files, less than 30% have actually been saved.

I have tried the card in 3 Android phones (Desire, Sensation and X10) and the same problem occurs. I have tried doing the same thing with an 8gb card and the transfer works happily. I have returned the card and got a new one and exactly the same problem.

I have tried using my lap-top running XP, same problem. If I try and drip-feed a folder at a time, it will tell me it is transferred until I disconnect USB, then it disappears. I have also tried using a bluetooth app and it may transfer one or two extra files, but then it shows as the folders being empty or I get the error message "unable to play this file type" in the music player window.

The files are all my own cd's which have been playing perfectly on my X10 and if I put my X10 SD card into the Sensation, plays them and recognises them perfectly.

The card is a micro SDHC with a 4 memory rating, the phone knows the card is there, it just wont allow anything extra to go on it, apps moved onto it no problem, but now they wont move back to the phone. I am guessing compatibility, but I would have thought all cards are the same? (stupid me).

Please help:thinking:

Advertisement

2. karandpr

karandpr Android Expert

Feb 16, 2011
    Male
    Did you check the SD card ?
    I also have a 16 GB SDHC class 4 Sandisk .
    It's filled to the brim with music and doesnt trouble me at all.

Your SD card maybe a fake one (30 p.c of 16 GB comes to near 2 GB )
    There are some SD cards which are cleverly formatted to look like 16 GB on PC .But in reality they have less value.

Use mini tool partition wizard to do a surface test which will test the entire SD card for errors and fix the SD card

3. Seanalf

Seanalf Newbie
    None

Aug 14, 2011
    Cheers for that, I will format the card with Windows, there is about 4gb of stuff on it.

Where would I find mini tool partition wizard? Is it a windows tool?

4. Seanalf

Seanalf Newbie
    None

Aug 14, 2011
    Scrub that, I found the tool you were talking about and I have now formated the card with both windows and the mini tool. have run scan disk with windows and am running mini tools surface scan. both are reporting the sd card size as correct 15.4gb.

I will report back once I have attempted file transfers once more.

5. Seanalf

Seanalf Newbie
    None

Aug 14, 2011
    Right then, disk formatted, scanned, re-formatted, re-scanned etc and still no luck! I have tried numerous file types and once you get over about 5gb, it throws a wobbly. A replacement has been requested, will see what happens.

6. karandpr

karandpr Android Expert

Feb 16, 2011
    Male
    Something is fishy !!!
    Manufacturers use 1000 x 1000 x 1000 (GB) as standard for storage
    computers have 1024 x 1024 x 1024 (GB)

16 / (1.024)^3 brings us to almost 14.90 GB on computer

Your SD card storage should be less than 14.9 (Mine is at 14.78 )

A thing to note is 16 /1.024 = 15.625 and 16/1.024^2 = 15.258 .

That said legitimate 16 GB SD cards should be less than 14.9 GB unless the manufacturer uses another standard of storage

Suggestion :
    Get your money back as quick as possible !!!ASAP!!!

Then invest in legitimate 16 GB class 4 with warranty and works .
    I got mine for roughly 23$ a while back . :D

Seanalf likes this.
  7. Tink-GB

Tink-GB Well-Known Member
    None

May 30, 2011
    nr Bath, UK
    Actually I have had the same issue over a Sandisk 32gb card I bought over amazon.
    The Sensy reports a formatted 31.04gb available however it doesn't accept any more than approx. 4gb as yours.
    It also keeps dismounting hourly.
    I too suspect its fake. First indication was it said Class 2 on the Sandisk packaging whilst the card says Class 4.
    I will format again using a pc and report back once I test it.out further...

8. karandpr

karandpr Android Expert

Feb 16, 2011
    Male
    Sandisk uses 1000x1000x1000 format :D
    By that analogy ,Legitimate Sandisk should show 29.80 GB or less when formatted .

BTW did anyone try to delete partition and make a new one !! .

9. Dryasanne

Dryasanne Newbie
    None

Aug 16, 2011
    Try the Transcend cards.

I have used them in all my cameras and phone for the last three years,
    no problems at all.

And - I buy them cheap from eBay :)

10. Tink-GB

None

May 30, 2011
    nr Bath, UK
    Yep sure did... Formatted the "31.04" gb SD card in a PC several times first both at Fat32 and NTSC. It only formatted as Fat32 (in line with my "genuine" 4 & 8GB Micro SDCards) and then after deleting and re-fdisking the partition, it has successfully copied over 5Gb of data (and rising as I type this). Far more than it managed in the Sensation.

The transfer rate is steady at 3.60 MB/sec... Not sure if this is okay, fast or slow as it's a DELL 1525 laptop.

I'll try iot back in the phone when complete...Only 18GB of songs to go...!

11. karandpr

karandpr Android Expert

Feb 16, 2011
    Male
    Since I dont have a supposedly fake SD card :rolleyes: ,can you test this app .
    It will help the community if this app is genuine :D
    https://market.android.com/details?...ardtester.SDCardTester&feature=also_installed

12. Seanalf

Seanalf Newbie
    None

Aug 14, 2011

I sent the card back and the vendor was very apologetic. He has sent me another and this works perfectly and so far with over 8gb of info on hasn't fallen over yet.

Many thanks to those who have helped, problem solved, just need to improve the battery life now

13. Tink-GB

None

May 30, 2011
    nr Bath, UK

The application worked perfectly and identified my 32GB card as damaged or fake.

However I determined it was a fake by using the following method:

A quick rub of my nail acrosss the printed surface and the print rubbed off easily. Same test across the Sandisk originals If have and no effect at all even if rubbed with much presure applied.

Luckily i never paid too much for it (which is why I bought a fake of course!).

Lesson learned.