• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help sd card damage

ls1ssws6

Dec 13, 2008
I was using pandora the other day and it froze up. It does this every once in a while and i have to turn the phone off and back on to reset it. So i did this like i usually do and when the phone turned back on a notice popped up and said SD card damage and the SD card may have to be reformatted. So i thought it may have been a mistake so i restarted the phone again and same thing. ALLL of my videos and pictures are gone. :eek::eek::eek:

Has anyone else had this problem? The icon stays up there no matter how many times i restart the phone. I dont want to reformat it yet until i know there is no hope to get my stuff back. And now i cant take pictures or videos until its fiugured out.

HELP!

I had this problem right after updating to 2.1 but I got lucky. I immediately connected the phone to my pc and mounted the sd card on the computer. Fortunately, the pc was able to read the card, despite whatever damage had occurred. So I made a new folder on the pc desktop and copied the entire contents of the sd card to that folder. I then unmounted the sd card and reformatted it on the phone. Once it was reformatted, I connected the phone to the pc again, mounted the sd card on the pc, and copied all of the files back. So far as I have been able to tell, all of the files copied back to the sd card with no errors and all seems fine now. It may be worth a try.

If that does not work, there are data recovery programs available for the pc that may be able to recover some (or if you are lucky, all) of the files on the sd card.

Good luck.

Reactions: Eazail70x7
Upvote 0
I had the same issue when I went to 2.1 (DD10). I did the same as above: removed card, mounted to computer. I was able to see the contents but while copying to my laptop, I'd get an error and it would unmount. Eventually, I was able to see (or, not see) the folder that was damaged (used command prompt). Luckily, it was the notification ogg files, which I had a backup of.

Upvote 0
ok i plugged the phone into the computer and it opened up the folder and showed all my pictures/movies but just had the generic picture in the main folder, when i double clicked to open the picture it said no preview available. it has them all marked with the right times/dates but wont let me see them.

Then all a sudden the phone froze and the computer went blue screen. I restarted both and when i went back to "my computer" to open the files again it said the drive is not formatted so i clicked no to reformat. downloaded a few sd card recovery programs and none of them find any files on the card :(

so where do i go from here? take it to a sprint store? or just cut my loses and reformat?

Upvote 0
ok i plugged the phone into the computer and it opened up the folder and showed all my pictures/movies but just had the generic picture in the main folder, when i double clicked to open the picture it said no preview available. it has them all marked with the right times/dates but wont let me see them.

Then all a sudden the phone froze and the computer went blue screen. I restarted both and when i went back to "my computer" to open the files again it said the drive is not formatted so i clicked no to reformat. downloaded a few sd card recovery programs and none of them find any files on the card :(

so where do i go from here? take it to a sprint store? or just cut my loses and reformat?

I would try removing the card from your phone, plugging the card directly into a USB adapter connected to your computer. See if you can view/copy the data from there.

Upvote 0
An SD adapter came in the box with your Moment - it's in the plastic bag with the manuals. You can place it into any SD reader or a device that takes a standard SD and copy off to a computer that way. It overrides the format error - just make sure that when windows says your card is damaged, would you like to repair it, that you click no...

Upvote 0
An SD adapter came in the box with your Moment - it's in the plastic bag with the manuals. You can place it into any SD reader or a device that takes a standard SD and copy off to a computer that way. It overrides the format error - just make sure that when windows says your card is damaged, would you like to repair it, that you click no...

oh yea i have the micro sd adapter but it doesnt have any usb or anything to plug into the computer.....am i missing something here :thinking:

Upvote 0
OK so It sounds as if u don't have a newer computer because most to all now have SD slots...

i just built the computer myself less than a year ago :thinking: no sd slot on it anywhere BUT my new 50" panasonic plasma has an SD slot i put the card into there and NOTHING came up. Should i just cut my ties and reformat?

In the future i will be transferring the pictures to my computer as i take them :eek:

Upvote 0
i just built the computer myself less than a year ago :thinking: no sd slot on it anywhere BUT my new 50" panasonic plasma has an SD slot i put the card into there and NOTHING came up. Should i just cut my ties and reformat?

In the future i will be transferring the pictures to my computer as i take them :eek:
U don't hav anyone with a laptop nearby u could transfer ur things on???

if not, then yeah u may as well re-format:eek:

Upvote 0
Yeah I had that happen as well. I lost a lot of music but thankfully I backed up all my pictures and things. I am starting ringtones and notifications sounds again and my music I usually re sync every few weeks so that was no big deal. I back up to a windows pc, my mac, an my NAS drive to be safe from all things we use in the house. Sorry you lost it all but refromating should help you keep it from happening again til the next update. I guess they changed something in 2.1 that referred items on the sd simply. I haven't read any data in this though so who knows.

Upvote 0
Yeah I had that happen as well. I lost a lot of music but thankfully I backed up all my pictures and things. I am starting ringtones and notifications sounds again and my music I usually re sync every few weeks so that was no big deal. I back up to a windows pc, my mac, an my NAS drive to be safe from all things we use in the house. Sorry you lost it all but refromating should help you keep it from happening again til the next update. I guess they changed something in 2.1 that referred items on the sd simply. I haven't read any data in this though so who knows.

yea i cut my loses and reformatted then updated to 2.1 which i loooove so far. It seems my battery life is actually that of a normal phone now and not a 2 hour curse!

Also love the new unlock method though it is takin some getting used to, im still hitting power then menu sometimes :p

and pandora which i was having choppiness issues with on 1.5 is running smooth with nop chops what so ever. Also i love the new voice search and voice navigation AND voice text all the google voice is amazing! Cant wait for my evo!

Upvote 0
I was doin the same for quite sometime (hittin power & then the menu button still)

& as for the battery life, obviously my battery must be bad or either the Network now on 2.1 kills it... It's shows that its runnin all the time but it was the same on 1.5 & I'd @ least get 12 hrs; now I'm lucky to get 4 :eek:

i am actually noticing a HUGE difference in battery life. I can actually text heavily all day and still come home to half battery (still green) where before with 1.5 i would be down to half battery within 2 hours of heavy texting. Either way i hope the Evo battery is better...

Lots of newer printers have SD slots on them as well.

my epson r220 is the only printer i use and it doenst have an sd slot :cool: i am just saving everything to my computer now after a few pictures. fool me once shame on the moment fool me twice shame on me lol

Upvote 0
I was using pandora the other day and it froze up. It does this every once in a while and i have to turn the phone off and back on to reset it. So i did this like i usually do and when the phone turned back on a notice popped up and said SD card damage and the SD card may have to be reformatted. So i thought it may have been a mistake so i restarted the phone again and same thing. ALLL of my videos and pictures are gone. :eek::eek::e
HELP!

This happend to me today and I'm on 2.1, I HATE this phone...great features that don't work all the time!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones