1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root SD card damaged??? Can't restore nandroid! Help!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by corybantic, May 31, 2011.

1. corybantic

corybantic Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 14, 2011
    Turn around...
    Yesterday morning I noticed that my Evo had completely run out of juice, I simply forgot to plug it in at night. In the morning when I woke up I realized it was dead so I plugged it in and went about my business. about an hour and a half later I decided to go out and unplugged my phone. It was in the car that I noticed I had the SD card icon in the upper left-hand corner.

I pulled down the notifications tab and it said "Damaged SD card...You may have to reformat it." I then decided to reboot into recovery to restore my previous backup - I used Quickboot to reboot BTW. When I got to recovery, I went to backup and restore and to my surprise, my backups were all gone! I'm thinking it has got something to do with the SD card.

So, right now I'm running CM7 but I'm unable to play any music and the apps that were saved to my SD card aren't launchable. I really don't want to reformat my card because I've purchased a lot of apps and do not want to lose them.

What are my options? Should I try to take out the SD card and put it back? Should I take the SD card out, see if I can save it's info to my PC and then reformat it? If I do reformat it what can I do about my apps? I am I going to have to unroot?

My worse fear is that CM7 starts acting up and goes into a reboot loop, at which point I'll definitely be screwed. Please, I implore all of you out there, help me resolve my issue and, as always, thanks.

Advertisement

2. Xtremedays

Xtremedays Android Expert
    None

Apr 5, 2010
    Male
    Auto Technician(for now)
    I would pull the sd card and reinstall it. I had issues a couple times on some of the nightlies with the same issue. Removing and reinstalling it seemed to take care of it.

I would however save some of your nandroids to your pc especially one with your wimax keys included.

I don't see any reason to unroot just yet unless something hardware wise happened with your sdcard slot.

corybantic likes this.
  3. corybantic

None

Apr 14, 2011
    Turn around...
    I'll wait until lunch to give it a try, thanks. Will update.

4. lesawag

lesawag Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 16, 2010
    Maintaining peace in my world
    Austin Texas
    The apps. You purchased will still be in the market. Push menu and then my apps. And download them again. No worries about that. Good luck. ;)

corybantic likes this.
  5. corybantic

None

Apr 14, 2011
    Turn around...
    Thanks, I'm really hoping that by pulling the SD card, I'll be able to rectify this problem. I'll let you guys know after lunch. Once again, thanks!

6. andygu3

andygu3 Android Expert
    None

May 24, 2010
    Lewis Center, OH
    Good luck;)

corybantic likes this.
  7. corybantic

None

Apr 14, 2011
    Turn around...
    Well, I powered down, pulled the memory card and rebooted into recovery and nothing! I went to backup and restore and it says, "Couldn't open directory" "No files found." I also went to install zip from sdcard and and it tells me the same thing; "No files found." So, now I lost my original backup (of stock) as well as all my other ROMS...What do you guys suggest I do? Should I reformat my card? If I do, I'll erase all my data, correct? I'm thinking I should wait until I get home to see if I can at least restore some info on my PC. What do you guys think? Any ideas as to why this happened?

andygu3 likes this.
  8. beastinbolts

beastinbolts Android Expert
    None

Apr 16, 2011
    ya diffenitly wait till you can get some files like your pics and music transfered over to your pc...then un mount and reformat. and keep your fingers crossed

corybantic likes this.
  9. corybantic

None

Apr 14, 2011
    Turn around...
    Thanks. Will update later on tonight.

andygu3 likes this.
  10. Xtremedays

None

Apr 5, 2010
    Male
    Auto Technician(for now)
    Is this the original card that came with the phone or an different one?

corybantic likes this.
  11. corybantic

None

Apr 14, 2011
    Turn around...
    @Xtremedays: No, it's a 16gb class 4 PNY micro SD.
    UPDATE:
    I just put the SD card in my PC and, unfortunately, it's unreadable. I get a message box saying, "The file or directory is unreadable or corrupt." So, I guess my next step will be to reformat the SD card. However, before that, I'm going to put the SD card back in and try to restore again. If nothing happens, I'm then going to attempt to open the SD card from my PC's USB connection, who knows? Maybe that might make it work....To be continued....

12. worse case scenario,you format the sd.make a folder for ROM's,flash the rom of your choice.after loading all your apps back on the phone,make a backup in your recovery.then i would make a copy of it on your pc,like stated above..just remember,as long you can get into recovery,your good!

corybantic likes this.
  13. corybantic

None

Apr 14, 2011
    Turn around...
    Okay, so after going the whole day with a busted SD card I bit the bullet and reformated my SD card :-(
    I'm now able to connect via the USB and enter the root of my SD card :)
    I'm gonna make a nandroid of it but before I do that I'm going to Titanium Backup my apps and their data.

There was one thing that I forgot to mention, the day before my SD card decided to go wonky, I was having an issue playing .wmv files on my AOSP based ROMs. So, I used a free converter online to convert the .wmv to .mp3 files. I'm almost certain that this had to have had something to so with it. Have any of you out there in forumland heard about this? I think that this should definitely be something that the Evo rooting community should be aware of.

Once again, a million thanks to you guys here at the forums as well as all of you who took the time to answer on this thread. THANKS!!!

14. Xtremedays

None

Apr 5, 2010
    Male
    Auto Technician(for now)
    Glad to see your card is still useable. It is unfortunate that you lost the info on it. Make sure that you copy at lease one good backup to your pc after you make it(with wimax) just to make sure you have a good backup just in case. It is possible the converter caused issues but before condemning it, maybe it can be verified by experimenting with it on a different sdcard.

15. corybantic

None

Apr 14, 2011
    Turn around...
    Good idea. I have a spare 2gb micro SD. I'm going to put some converted files on it and I'll play thru all files until my battery dies, just like it did the first time around.

Tags: