1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

SD card damaged on android phone, formatting will erase all

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by Android Question, Dec 30, 2013.

1. Android Question

None
    Turned phone on this mornaing then off. Later in the day (mid-day) turned it back on and got the notification that the SD card was damaged How can this happen like that? Said re-format will need to be done but all data will be lost. I have over 200 pictures, mostly my grands when they wer younger and vacation photos. HELP!!!!! I do not want to lose them.I tried to back up by connecting to PC but only got the pcitures recently taken from my camera phone.
    I DO NOT WANT TO LOSE ALL THESE PRECIOUS PICTURES!!!!!! I am not savy with technology.

Advertisement

2. Rukbat

Rukbat Extreme Android User
    None

Jan 16, 2012
    Male
    Being retired and writing Tasker tasks.
    Fayetteville, NC, USA
    SD cards have a limited (very large but limited) number of write cycles. When you exceed that, something goes. An SD card is like a string of sausages. One of the sausages is blocked, so you can get to all the pictures up to that sausage, but not past it. And formatting the card may make it work again - temporarily - but if there's a bad cell, it's going to go again.

ANY data you don't want to lose should be backed up on AT LEAST TWO different devices. It's pretty unlikely that both will go bad at the same time. (My phone gets backed up to my laptop AND to a cloud location.)

Sorry about the grandkids - I'd hate to lose a single picture of mine - but there's only one thing I can think of doing.

Go to PhotoRec - CGSecurity and download PhotoRec. You'll have to burn it to a CD, so maybe get one of the kids or grandkids to do that. Boot the computer with that CD. Take the SD card out of the phone and connect it to the computer - with a reader, an adapter, it depends on what's available on your computer. (Ask the kids or grandkids again.) Then turn PhotoRec loose on the card. If there's anything on the card it can get to that looks like a picture file, it'll save it on your hard drive. You'll lose the name/date/time, etc., information, but you'll have the picture.

I'm not saying that you'll get much back, but PhotoRec is about the best there is (and it's free - someone wrote it because he wanted to write good software, not because he wanted to get rich) and if there's anything recoverable on that card, PhotoRec will recover it.