1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support SD Card Effed.

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Poehring, Sep 13, 2011.

1. Poehring

Poehring Member
    None

Jun 7, 2009
    Collections. Bisohp White Marshal & Weibel P.S.
    Des Moines, WA USA
    Sorry if this has been posted, I'm just too frustrated right now to check. If this has been posted, please point me in the right direction, and I will check it out tomorrow.

My SD card worked this morning...this afternoon, my phone claims either its blank, or the wrong file system. I have not done anything different on my phone, nor downloaded anything illegal or otherwise unsupported. Just out of the blue, "Boom" no Micro SD Card. It wont let me Format it, and my computer wont recognize it as anything.

I only have one question, since the obvious "Can this be corrected" is more than likely, a unanimous "No."...so my question is, what causes this? I know a 16 gig Micro SD card (Standard with the DX) wont run me more than $20, so I'm not crying over spilled milk. But it is rather frustrating that I'm losing all my Apps, Settings, Contacts, Pics, Music and Vids that have been saved to it, and I have no clue why. Your's frustratingly,

Preston Oehring

Advertisement

2. colchiro

colchiro Extreme Android User
    None

Jun 4, 2010
    Male
    Web developer/IT
    Moved to support. :D

Try removing your card and replacing it 5 or 6 times to clean the contacts. You'll find it behind the battery.

If you decide to reformat it, do it in your computer and format it fat32 (not ntfs). If you format it from your phone, you'll ended up with something that's unreadable, except when it's in your phone plugged into your computer. The defaults windows uses will work so don't sweat it. :D

Should you need to replace it, use a SanDisk, no faster than class 4. I doubt you'll find a class 4 unless you go online tho.

3. RyanB

RyanB Guest
    None
    Out of curiosity, why no faster than 4?

4. Poehring

Poehring Member
    None

Jun 7, 2009
    Des Moines, WA USA
    Ive removed it and reinserted it several times. Booted my phone with the SD card out, and then put it back in, etc. My computer wont even recognize it as a drive. I think I am just going to have to pick up another one today.

5. colchiro

None

Jun 4, 2010
    Male
    Web developer/IT
    Faster cards are optimized for larger files (like photos) than what Android typically uses.

Most of the benchmarked sdcards came up with SanDisk class 4 and slower as being the fastest. The tests were run with the Nook Color which can run a custom rom entirely off the sdcard.

Android uses small files with random access.

Fast cards (like class 10) are optimized for large files and sequential writes.

6. Poehring

Poehring Member
    None

Jun 7, 2009
    Des Moines, WA USA
    So I ended up buying a new one. Just to let you guys know...If you plan on buying a new one...do NOT buy one at a Verizon store. They wanted $69.99 for the 16Gig and $129.99 for the 32. ROFL!!! I bought a Sandisk 16gb HD for $20 on Amazon.

7. colchiro

None

Jun 4, 2010
    Male
    Web developer/IT
    If I went to VW, I'd be hoping for a freebie. :D