1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support SD card encrypted for SIM switch

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by zkab, Mar 18, 2016.

1. zkab

zkab Newbie
    None

Apr 15, 2010
    Sweden
    I have Samsung S7 edge with a SD card.
    On my SD card I have a lot of information I want to protect if the mobile get stolen.
    I have encrypted the SD card and login is with fingerprint and a complicated pattern as backup.
    But if the mobile gets stolen and SIM card is switch ... can this person read my SD card or even worst decrypt it with Samsung menu ?
    If yes - is there away to encrypt SD card with some relation to the SIM card that resided in the mobile when encryption took place ?
    Appreciate any help ...

Advertisement

2. girolez

girolez Often Off Piste

May 29, 2011
    Male
    Retired
    Les Gets, France
    Hi

SDcard encryption has nothing to do with SIM card content, so no, they will not be able to decrypt the card by swapping the SIM - only if they can unlock your phone (by knowing your password).

You should enable Google Device Manager - that way if your phone is stolen you can remotely wipe the phone and sdcard. See here https://support.google.com/a/answer/173390?hl=en

Hadron, psionandy and scary alien like this.
  3. AZgl1500

AZgl1500 Android Expert
    None

Feb 3, 2011
    Male
    Retired and loving it.
    Oklahoma grasslands
    I had to FDR my phone today.

When I clicked on Format Phone, a warning screen popped up.

It plainly stated that IF you FDR this phone, and your SD card is encrypted, you will never, ever, be able to use that SD card again. They state that the encryption key is random number stored on that phone....

That is why I will NOT encrypt my files. I depend on me being smart enough to hold onto my phones....
    mine has a Neck Strap, and if I am away from home, that strap is around my neck, and the phone in my shirt pocket.