• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help SD Card Encryption Error Occurred

teeks_88

Lurker
May 23, 2013
Hi.

I have the Samsung S3 4G LTE device running Android 4.1.2.

My issue started when I asked my work to access work emails on my android device. Through their MDM (Mobile Device Management) Policies, I was required to encrypt my mobile device and my SD Card.

When I format the SD card, I am able to add music + other files and the device picks up the SD card and encrypts the contents and i can use the files as required. (good)

My issue starts when I have to turn my phone off to take out/replace my battery etc. When I reboot my phone and enter my pin etc, i am able to proceed further but my SD Card does not get encrypted at boot. I get an error saying 'sd card encryption error occurred'. When i go to encrypt the device again, it says 'Unable to encrypt SD card. Not Enough space on card. Approximately 1.00 MB needed. Delete some files. To use your SD Card, it must be encrypted. Tap Continue to encrypt your SD card.' .. and obviously when i press continue, i get this 'Unable to encrypt...' error again. At this point, i can't even view the contents of my sd card on my samsung phone. (very bad).

The only solution i have found at the moment which is NOT feasible is to take my SD card out, put it in a computer, reformat the sd card, re-add my files and re-encrypt my sd card again.

I know there is a 'Exclude multimedia files' when encrypting the sd card but this option is gray'd out as it is 'controlled by remove administrator' who is my work. They will not change their settings as it turns out, i actually work for a media company.

Please advise!! Any help would be appreciated. All i really want to do is be able to listen to music!!

I just experienced this problem with my Samsung S3. I had to encrypt the SD card for the same reason. Somehow it became corrupted - no reason I can think of. I searched for a solution that made sense and couldn't find one; I'm posting this here because this was the first search result using Google.

In any case, I fixed it. Here's how:

I shut the phone down, removed the MicroSD card from the phone, slipped it into an adapter and put it into a laptop I have that runs Ubuntu (linux). I brought up an xterm, identified the path to the card (basically through mounting it then unmounting it), then ran fsck.vfat /<path-to-SD-card>. There were lots of errors; they were fixed. I put it back in the phone and the phone works fine. I'm sure there are several files (mainly media files) that I will have to delete - the corruption seems to have been confined to my media and downloads directories.

Hopefully this will help someone else.

Note that you may be able to run chkdsk under windows or some equivalent on the Mac to do this. Note that only the files are encrypted; the filesystem is not. If it's a filesystem error that's causing the SD card to not work then that can be fixed. If you have this problem, I hope this helps.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones