1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

SD card Encryption inadequate

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Guara, Feb 8, 2021.

1. Guara

Guara Lurker

I encrypted the external SD card on my phone(Samsung A30). Firstly, I was able to directly access the SD card, once my phone was unlocked. That is, I was not required to enter a separate password, to access the SD Card! Then, when I connected(USB) my phone to my PC, I was able to access the files on the SD card, after unlocking the phone. What is the point of encrypting the the SD card, in the first place??? The only security that encryption has, is the password on the phone!!!

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

Why is my laptop's SSD encrypted? After all, anyone who can enter my password can read the contents of the drive.

What you are asking is exactly equivalent to that question above. But since you can access the card when it's in the phone, is it surprising that anyone else who can unlock the phone can access it?

The point of encrypting is that nobody can remove the card and read it using a different device. Whereas if the card isn't encrypted someone who can't unlock your phone can just pop the card out and read it (and it's the same with the laptop: it's to protect the contents against someone who doesn't know my password accessing the drive through other ways).

#2 Hadron, Feb 8, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2021
    puppykickr, ocnbrze and mikedt like this.

Samsung Galaxy A30s Forum

The Samsung Galaxy A30s release date was September 2019. Features and Specs include a 6.4" inch screen, 25MP camera, 3/4GB RAM, Exynos 7904 processor, and 4000mAh battery.

September 2019
Release Date
Reviews