• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

SD Card Error After 1.6 Update

RuinerXL

Lurker
Oct 10, 2009
A couple of days ago, my G1 prompted me, saying that the 1.6 update was ready to install. I installed it straight away, only to my immediate horror as the phone rebooted saying that the SD card was blank or was using an unsupported format. After allowing the phone to format the card, I started to get everything back in order, only to find that when I rebooted the phone, everything was once again lost and I got that same message about the card being blank or being in the wrong format. I have tried wiping through the recovery menu, restoring to factory settings, formatting the card repeatedly through both my phone and my computer. Nothing works. Is my card dead or is it my phone? I would never have updated if I'd known the headache it would cause me. Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

A couple of days ago, my G1 prompted me, saying that the 1.6 update was ready to install. I installed it straight away, only to my immediate horror as the phone rebooted saying that the SD card was blank or was using an unsupported format. After allowing the phone to format the card, I started to get everything back in order, only to find that when I rebooted the phone, everything was once again lost and I got that same message about the card being blank or being in the wrong format. I have tried wiping through the recovery menu, restoring to factory settings, formatting the card repeatedly through both my phone and my computer. Nothing works. Is my card dead or is it my phone? I would never have updated if I'd known the headache it would cause me. Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

First i would remove the card and try booting then power off the phone re insert the card and try booting again.... if that doesn't work a wipe probably wont either... so i would suggest testing the card in a card reader to see if it is truly dead if it is not format the card fat32 with the card reader and then put it back in the phone and should boot properly if it doesn't please post here so we can try and help further....

Upvote 0
I don't think this has anything to do with the card, it seems there is an issue with the update. I saw another thread at another forum where the user took the phone to the TMobile shop and they admit it was a known issue. I have the same thing as the original post here and felt the same way. If I had known the update would do that I would not have done the update.

Now each time the phone is turned off, the card is un readable when the phone starts. Maybe not unmounted when shutting down etc. Not sure. But it totally sucks. I dont have a TMobile account so cannot take the thing in. Wondering if anyone here has a workaround for that? Thinking that unmounting the card before thing is shutdown might help but how? Can we add a script in /etc/init.d for that? I have yet to do any Android development so not sure what all we can do in there.

j

Upvote 0
The same thing happened to my phone. I tried to save as much data as possible, but a lot of the pictures wouldn't copy over to my computer. I tried doing a chkdsk to remove the corrupted files, that didn't do much. The wierdest part is that after a couple weeks, it started working again...although some of the pics are lost forever.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones