1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support SD Card File database corrupted?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by mtsarpilot, Jun 20, 2011.

1. mtsarpilot

mtsarpilot Member
    None

Feb 4, 2011
    I am seeing a really funky problem and don't even know where best to post this question.

It appears when I reboot the phone, or remount the SD card after connecting to USB, the phone must build some form of a database of all the files on the SD card. Then music player apps such as Doubletwist, WinAmp, and the stock player each in some fashion build their own file list from this database.

The whole thing is corrupted and I get screwy and different results from each app. I've reformatted the SD card, even tried a different SD card. All to no avail. I get things like:

WinAmp - I get duplicates of all songs. All the stuff that was on the card before reformatting still appears in the song list, along with everything at is actually on the card. It gives errors when accessing the phantom old songs and usually force closes no matter what I try to do

DoubleTwist - Only some of my albums appear, and the songs are all mixed up

Android music player - black screen, can't do anything

Android Gallery to look at picture - Says it's loading media and hangs there

It seems if I could simply get the phone to reset whatever it is doing to catalog the contents of the SD card I'd be back to a stable state.

Anyone know how this works?

Thanks

Advertisement

2. mtsarpilot

mtsarpilot Member
    None

Feb 4, 2011
    I've gotten all the way to Moto level 2 support and they are clueless.

At this point I have narrowed it down to any App that reads the SD card hangs. I can mount the SD to USB and read/write it on the computer just fine, so it is not a hardware problem. The phone can even write to the SD card by taking a picture and it is stored on the card (I can read it from my computer), however the photo gallery app says there are no pictures on the card.

This is purely a nasty Android bug. Anyone seen this? Anyone know how to tell the phone to revert back to an earlier version of Android OS to see if the problem goes away?