• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help SD Card Filesystem

I have been wondering this since I bought my G1, why cannot the SD Card be in EXT3 or EXT4?

The reason I ask is, because I have a 8GB SD Card and I have put a ton of map tiles for AndNav2 on it and while it only totals up to 1.2gigs, I only have 200MB left. I find this to be a total waste of space, is there anything else I can do?

Btw, I am using the T-Mobile G1 with Cyanogen 4.0.4.

Thanks!

You can partition the SD card, and should if your running Cyanogen. Most peaople recomend a class 6 SD card. Part of the card would be ext3/4 and the rest fat32. If you do this you can run your apps from the SD card and have storage space for maps and etc.

I am on my mobile right now so I can't post the links on how to do it. If you do a "partition" search I am sure it will pop up.

Upvote 0
kabbie_mcfeely,

I appreciate your comments, but I wasn't asking how to partition my SD card.

I have put 1.2 gigs of map tiles on to my 8 gig SD card and I have merely 200 megs left on it. I am thinking there is a space utilization problem. I was wondering if I could just wipe the FAT32 and put EXT3/EXT4 that I would have better space utilization. EXT3/EXT4 is a much better filesystem than FAT32 and I am not going to have any problems reading the EXT3/EXT4 filesystem because I am running Ubuntu 9.04.

Are we really forced to use FAT32 when Android is a Linux operating system or can we use EXT3/EXT4 for all our needs if we already use Linux as our desktop operating system?

Upvote 0
kabbie_mcfeely,

I appreciate your comments, but I wasn't asking how to partition my SD card.

I have put 1.2 gigs of map tiles on to my 8 gig SD card and I have merely 200 megs left on it. I am thinking there is a space utilization problem. I was wondering if I could just wipe the FAT32 and put EXT3/EXT4 that I would have better space utilization. EXT3/EXT4 is a much better filesystem than FAT32 and I am not going to have any problems reading the EXT3/EXT4 filesystem because I am running Ubuntu 9.04.

Are we really forced to use FAT32 when Android is a Linux operating system or can we use EXT3/EXT4 for all our needs if we already use Linux as our desktop operating system?

Whether you can use the FAT32 or an EXT partition for map tiles will depend totally on the app that is saving the tiles and retrieving them ...

you can surely create an ext partition on the SDcard ... but if is going to be used depends on OS and the particular app

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones