• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help SD Card fried...AGAIN!!

Gleadogg

Apr 1, 2011
Hello... So, my S3 fried up ANOTHER sdcard. The first one was SkanDisk and this one was PNY so I don't think it's the card.

Has anyone had the same trouble? If so, does anyone know a solution?

I can replace cards, but each time I've lost precious photos/videos of my kids.

Any help?

Thanks!

Yep. Lots of people have had this problem. I've had two Sandisk cards die in my S3.

Sandisk has said that they have identified a flaw in their cards and that they have fixed it on newly manufactured cards.

I know this seems suspicious because you've had a PNY card die, and others have had Samsung cards die in the phone, but it might be that ALL manufacturers have been reproducing this flaw until the S3 has exposed the weakness in the microSD design (through a flaw of its own), and that SanDisk at the moment are the only card manufacturer addressing the issue.

I personally am going to stick with Sandisk because of this.

However there is no solution other than this apart from making sure to back up your photos. If I were you I would download and install Dropbox and set it to automatically upload your photos as soon as you take them. But this might not be a solution if you have a very low data allowance.

Upvote 0
Another option is Picasa to save pics/movies- the gallery app will show your online gallery as well so it's more integrated than dropbox.

But the other day I got a nasty surprise where somehow the gallery app used 62MB of data in the background- I suspect some kind of syncing was going on. I restricted the background data. Anybody else use Picasa?

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Had my third card do this only last week! This time, though, when I stuck the card in my PC, it was able to read it -- in its entirety. I copied the files to the PC, formatted a new card in the phone, stuck that in the PC -- and copied the contents of the old card to the new one.

Just for fun (?), I then stuck the old card back in the phone, and it wouldn't read it, so I formatted it on the PC. When I stuck that back in the phone, it said it needed to be formatted (!), but I reformatted it (in the phone) and it read it fine after that.

Even so, I'm using the new card in the phone now.

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Oke, so this tread discusses the problem and possible solutions. It was very helpful thank you, im going to try some things when i get back from Italy. I have got another aspect concerning this problem.

If the card doesn't work any longer and the insurance date is expired, you won't get your money back i guess. In my case my SDcard (full of music) got fried after one year. My second one however just took 1 month. The contents from this SDcard has a lot of emotional value, and its gone without me causing it to happen.

What can you do in this situation?? Because of an error of a purchased device (in this case a Samsung Note 2, not older than 1 year) your property is damaged/deleted/(stolen from you?). It's in the insurance date, so i will get another one. But what about the value of the contents?

Thanks in advance..

Upvote 0
You are out of luck. Insurance won't cover it. Make sure data can't get lost to begin with. With everything in I.T. - you gotta have backups.

Music : Upload up to 20k songs to Play Music for free
Movies : Keep only movies on it you watch and delete
Documents : Google / Dropbox

Like I mentioned above - it depends what you do with the SD card. They are known to have limited life.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones