• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

SD Card help

Hi -- you have always been very helpful whenever I have a question, so I thought I would ask another one.

Today, while at a car show in Detroit, as I was getting ready to take a picture with my Droid X, someone bumped into me and I dropped the phone on the ground. The back and battery came out (I have an extended-life battery, and the cover isn't the greatest -- any slight bump and the phone shuts off). I put the phone back together and turn it on. When I attempted again to take the picture, the camera told me to insert an SD card. The card did not come out and was still installed in the phone.

I went into settings and found that the MOUNT/UNMOUNT SD Card option was grey and not selectable. The SD card cannot be read by my laptop either. The card does not seem to be damaged, at least not seen by the naked eye.

I saw another thread with a similar problem, but there was never a resolve to the issue. Here's the thread. Not sure how I would have gotten a virus, and the phone is not a previously-locked phone.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. I have over 1000 photos, 100 videos (of my child), and apps, but those can be replaced. I have a lot of the photos on my computer / Facebook, but the 40 or so I took at the car show, plus others that I haven't backed up yet, are still there.

Thank you very much for reading!
Scott :thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking:

Please pardon my ignorance, but when you say "resetting," do you mean doing a factory reset, or something else? I have tried removing / re-inserting the SD that did not help. I even tried a different battery -- just in case, ya know? If you mean factory reset, I will definitely try that.

I'm also thinking the card was damaged, as it cannot be read by my computer either. I'm just very upset that I'm losing the pictures and videos (especially the videos) of my daughter. :(

Thanks again!

Upvote 0
No your post was fine it was me who wasn't specific I wouldn't do a factory reset instead I would take your phone and get a new SD as of how to get it's contents off I'm unsure of it's probably too damaged too do anything with I am sorry about your SD card in the future get this app my backup https://market.android.com/details?...sImNvbS5yZXJ3YXJlLmFuZHJvaWQuTXlCYWNrdXAiXQ..
or lookout, lookout is an anti virus app and you can use it to back up photos videos contacts pictures I would include a link but it seems I cant connect to the android market sorry about your SD card I hope I helped

Upvote 0
Would I just take the SD card to a Verizon store to have it fixed, or....? If that's possible, I'd like to do that.

I'll also check into the anti-virus app.

Thanks so much for your help!
If not the anti-virus app, then get where's my Droid?
Has the same find my phone features minus the anti-malware. Plus, I don't think you have to pay $3 a month for those features either. Here's the link.
https://market.android.com/details?...vbS5hbGllbm1hbmZjNi53aGVyZXNteWFuZHJvaWQiXQ..

Upvote 0
I will go on the assumption that the card is the one that came in the phone, if not you should know what to do.
Verizon store will do you no good. If the card will not read in your computer for you to be able to format it, then if your phone is under warranty, call 18009220204 and tell them the situation.

SD CARDS WONT BE REPLACED IN THE STORE.

The card is not the one that came in the phone. Actually, it came from my Blackberry. The phone came with an 8GB card, and this is a 16GB.

Phone is not under warranty. I've had it for a little over a year now.

I just bought a new 8GB card on eBay and will start over when it arrives. I keep my music on Google Beta, so I don't need that much storage anymore. Just for pictures/videos.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones