• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help SD card in Galaxy S

szlaeyer

Lurker
Jul 25, 2010
Hey guys, please help me understand this:

I have the european Galaxy S model. It comes with 8 gigs of standard storage, but I also bought another 8 GB SD card. I started installing apps taking pictures and shooting video. I used about 5 gigs of the internal storage.

In the meantime, I also discovered that I can set the camera app to save content either to the phone's internal storage or to the removable SD card. But then, why can't I view the pics or videos saved on it with the gallery app? How can I "enable" the 2nd memory card, so that is viewable by the system and useable with, let's say, the Astro file management app? Or to be used to install further apps from the marketplace If the internal storage fills up, what happens then? Is the system "bright" enough to switch automatically to the 2nd SD card or what?

I saw something on the net that you have to root the phone to be able to install apps on both cards. I don't want to root it. So, basically, what can I use the 2nd SD card for? 'Cause it isn't very appealing to have one this way. I mean, I take some pictures and videos and when I wan't to view them I have to remove the card from the phone?! So, that's about it.

Any good suggestions about how to use my storage more efficiently will be very welcomed by a noob that switched to Android 2 days ago and who's never going back to iOS.

Thanks.

umm i dont understand this...

coz i have the vibrant and im sure both are practically similar device, some of my vids and photos are saved on my SDcards and i can see them just fine in the gallery app.. and yes, there is an option in the camera menu to choose where you'd like to save the files to..

try going to your "files" app and try moving your files (photos,vids) into your SDcards and vice versa, simple as that... i think the files are being saved into the phone storage by default such as files that were transferred through bluetooth, direct site downloads, etc.. but you can always easily transfer them within the "files" app..

hope that helps...

i think even the movie avatar can be moved into the phone internal storage..

Upvote 0
sounds odd, I have the Galaxy S 8gb version and have an 8GB SD card in it and it sees it fine. Try going to settings/sd card and phone storage and it should tell u there if the card is being seen. It should tell you the size of the card and the available space.

try unmounting it and the remounting it see if that helps. Try taking the car out og the phone and reinserting it. You could also try formatting it again to see if that helps.

When you use the my files app does it allow you access to the SD card?

Upvote 0
Hi guys, thank you for your answers. I don't know exactly why, but photos and videos saved on the second SD card suddenly showed up in the Gallery app and in Astro, under "sd" folder. So, my problem is fixed. I don't get it why it took a good 12 hours until they popped up, but hey it's better than nothing...

And all this time the phone recognized all it's storage just fine. It saw both memory cards OTB, never gave me any other problems...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones