1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General "SD Card is Blank" and "Insufficient Space" Problem

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by baconpancakes, Mar 23, 2016.

1. baconpancakes

baconpancakes Lurker
    None

Mar 23, 2016
    Female
    hi, everyone.

i have a 16GB samsung galaxy s5, fully upgraded to android 5.0 lollipop, not rooted. i've had it for a year and a half. this has never happened before.
    yesterday it froze for a good half hour. i couldn't even unlock it. i tried to restart it several times, to no avail, so i took out the battery, put it back, and waited 60 seconds to turn my phone back on. that has happened before, so i knew what to do and thought everything would be fine, no big whoop.

when i rebooted the phone, it was unable to read my SD card. the system says my SD card is blank (which it is not). all of the apps i had moved to it are unusable. and i couldn't re-download the apps because the system was saying it had insufficient space to even function properly.
    fairly frustrating.

i'm fine with my apps being gone, considering all of my app account data gets saved on google play, so my friend performed a soft reset on the phone to see if that would help (since it obviously isn't a problem with the SD card).

the "blank SD card" problem still persists, and my phone still keeps trying to tell me that it has insufficient space to even function.

pardon my french, but what the hell am i supposed to do?
    what the hell happened to my phone when it froze?

help. :(

EDIT: i deleted quite a few pictures & other things that may have been taking up my internal space, but i still only have 660 MB when i should have ~5 gigs.

Advertisement

#1 baconpancakes, Mar 23, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2016
  2. WoohooGuy

WoohooGuy Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 15, 2011
    Male
    woodworking
    boston ma
    If you can get ESFile Explorer installed on the device it has a very comprehensive device analyzer that will show you where your space is going. Large files, junk files, etc.

If that fails to come up with anything in particular then a factory reset should be performed. Verify your SDcard contents and get them copied to a computer, better safe than sorry in case it is about to fail.

3. ironass

ironass Android Expert

Aug 17, 2010
    Male
    Keeping one step ahead of the tax man.
    Cotswolds, England
    Which model of Galaxy S5 do you have?

Try installing SD Insight, free from the Play Store, and run it, to check out your SD card.

Samsung Galaxy S5

The Samsung Galaxy S5 was announced in 2014 and was the company's first flagship of the year. The device featured a 5.1-inch display with a resolution of 1920 x 1080, 2GB of RAM, 16GB of storage, and a 16MP primary rear camera.