• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help SD card issues

33Forward

Jun 24, 2011
Hi all.
I've had my Atrix for almost a month, and other than a few quirks, its been great. But in the last week, I've had 2 problems with the phone not reading the SD card. Whats odd, its that it will lock out any apps I have moved to SD, and all icons on home screens show up as generic blank ones, with the app name. When clicked on, it says app not installed on phone. But, it will access all my photos, videos and media that is stored on the card without a problem.

The first time this happened, was right after I turned the phone off. I had the same issue with Google Earth that some others mention here. When turning it back on, none of my SD stored apps came up. But all my other media did.
I rebooted the phone, and they came back up.

Second time, I had to shut the phone off again, thought it was getting too warm. Now, I have the same issue. No apps on SD, phone apps are fine, and media is fine. I have tried re-booting, pulling and reinserting the SD, nothing works. The market doesn't even recognize that the apps are installed either. So I installed the few I use most again. Haven't been able to get the others back since that. The ones I installed again, I did not move to SD. Shows the SD is there, shows available space on the SD, but wont access any apps on it. The file manager shows them as existing, but the phone wont pull them up. Any ideas? If it was solely an SD card read issue, I think it wouldn't access photos, videos, music, etc, as well as the apps. But its only having issues with apps.
What gives?
Not rooted, has the most recent OTA update. :thinking:
Only other thing I can think of, is that I couldn't do the OTA update "OTA". I didn't have Wifi or 3G access at the time. I DL'd it from Moto to my PC, then loaded it to the phone. Now it keeps trying to access the update, but says the update is not available. Phone info shows the latest version. AT&T store was no help on that issue. Every time I get near WiFi, it says update not available. Not sure if this is causing the bug or what.

not sure how much help this will be but, I was having similar problems with my sd, although I didn't have any apps installed on it. I would work for about a week, then I would get an error and it wouldnt mount correctly. it wouldn't show any files I would try and format through the computer and reload files. I had problems were the iles like pictures would load slowly. I went though a kingston 32 gig sd and some other off brand one. The phone ate both of the cards. Well I think it was that phone so I got it warrantied out and had to get a refurbished one. I spent a little more money and got a san disk card. and with the new phone and san disk card the phone has been perfect.

Upvote 0
I am having the same issue with my SD Card it worked at first but now when I plug it in the phone beeps ( hate the beep ) and unmounts the card so I am unable to copy and past any files in it through USB Mode. I tride to reformat the card and nothing seems to work and the phone seems to get warm which is something my HTC Inspire never did. Any Help please

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones