• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
I purchased a 32 GB Scandisc SD card for my Samsung Galaxy Tab and I put a bunch of video files on it. However, when I watch a video on the SC card, it often stops after a while and when I try to start it again from My Files, it says "video can't be played". Also, in My Files some of the files on the SD card stop appearing and I need to take out the SD card and put it back in. This does the trick... until the next time it stops. I replaced the first SD card with a another one, thinking it was faulty, but the problem persists. I can't watch a full video without having to take out and put back in the card several times. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Maybe the card has a bad sector.

If you have a windows computer:

Power down phone and remove sd card
Put sd card in a card reader and put it in computer
A new drive letter will be available, eg. D:
Open explorer (right click start button and select explore)
Scroll down to new drive letter, eg D:
Right click and select properties
Scan for errors and enable auto repair

Hope this helps. It helped me once...
Good luck.

Upvote 0
Maybe the card has a bad sector.

If you have a windows computer:

Power down phone and remove sd card
Put sd card in a card reader and put it in computer
A new drive letter will be available, eg. D:
Open explorer (right click start button and select explore)
Scroll down to new drive letter, eg D:
Right click and select properties
Scan for errors and enable auto repair

Hope this helps. It helped me once...
Good luck.

Thanks for the suggestion. However, the SD card seems to be having no errors.

Upvote 0
I transfered the videos from my PC to the SD card without encoding. All of them play on the tab, but at one or another point they stop and the tab doesn't recognize the SD anymore. Until I take it out and put it back in.

I understand that, however my point is still valid. It may have something to do with the manner in which they were created.

Another possibility is the method you used to put them on the card. If you put the card in an SD card adapter, then into your PC, it could be the adapter, the card reader in your PC, or the driver for the card reader in your PC. Did you "safely remove" the card from your PC, allowing it to finish writing to the card?

If you transferred them to the Tab via USB cable, Tab to PC, did you unplug the Tab too soon? Are you using the correct version of the Samsung USB driver on the PC (for Windows it's 2.9.505.831)?

Upvote 0
I understand that, however my point is still valid. It may have something to do with the manner in which they were created.

Another possibility is the method you used to put them on the card. If you put the card in an SD card adapter, then into your PC, it could be the adapter, the card reader in your PC, or the driver for the card reader in your PC. Did you "safely remove" the card from your PC, allowing it to finish writing to the card?

If you transferred them to the Tab via USB cable, Tab to PC, did you unplug the Tab too soon? Are you using the correct version of the Samsung USB driver on the PC (for Windows it's 2.9.505.831)?

Thanks for taking the time to respond.
I transfer the videos from the PC hard drive to the SD card without the help of a software. The format of the videos is .avo or .mp4.
I wait until transfer is complete to disconnect the SD card from the PC. On the android device, I don't transfer them to the hard drive but use them directly from the SD card.
The videos would play for a bit then stop and I get a message "this video can't be played". I have to take out and put back in the SD card but it doesn't guarantee that it will work right away.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones