• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

SD card music files corrupted and merging??

i posted this in the galaxy note section but this is a music player problem/ sd card problem

i purchased an Adata 32gb SD card, the card formatted fine and i loaded it with 1080p vids to check capacity and its legit..

my issue is this:

when copying music files (whether mp3, wma, .cda) my music files start to merge.... blend whatever you call it

it does not matter if i use the phone as a FTP or internal card reader or external card reader, if i copy more than 1 file at a time.. it will blend 2-3 of them together into the space of the first song..

the simplest way to have this make sense is imagine placing 3 songs on top of eachother.. it will start with the original song.. then 2-3 seconds into it it will jump to the middle of another, jump again and jump again.. all while still playing the original file.

i have reformatted the card 4 tiimes, and i know for sure its not the card, this only happens with all songs but never the same song twice. IE its not the music file, its not the card because my laptop syncs songs fine

it may be my desktop (has no internet connection at this time) however if that was the case then all songs would copy over and have this issue, it does sync some songs fine..

another thing i noticed is if i copy files individually, they will come across fine, but randomly it will happen to one song, (doesnt matter if its the 1st file or 50th file) when it decides to merge songs together it does it to every file... after that point.

ive also tried this on smaller SD cards and the same issue arises..

What filesystem did it come with, and what was it formatted to?

Not saying this is it, but there are faked cards that exhibit this kind of behavior when you go over the actual (not claimed) capacity of the card.

To test, take out of the phone and mount on PC. Copy it nearly full, then copy the files back to the PC somewhere else and check the files. If they copy correctly then it's likely not a faked card.

Upvote 0
If i had to take a guess.. i'd say it sounded like a dodgy card., either due to a fault, or because its a fake.

Many fake cards work by allowing you to copy files to them forever (or up to the capacity stated), but because they only have a small amount of memory what they do is overwrite sectors with newer data, tricking the user into thinking they are legit.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones