1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

SD card not recognized by file manager / other apps, but is recognized by pc + mac + storage setting

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by ali010, Aug 13, 2013.

1. ali010

ali010 Lurker
    None

Aug 13, 2013
    Hello,

This might be easy, but I spent a few hours on trying + googling but I havent figured this one out - so I really hope you could help me :)!

When I acces Settings > Storage my (micro) sd card in my phone is recognized (it shows the amount of available space + the space in use y apps, pictures & videos, audio, etc).
    Also when connected to both my pc as well as my iMac it shows the sd card + its contents.

Weirdly enough File Manager on my phone, nor Music+ seem to recognize the sd card/locate any files. (it simply states there are no files).

Apps seem to download to the sd card and are working just fine - so there is some communication between the OS and the sd card, or so it seems..

Does anybody have a clue what is going wrong?

Thanks a lot!
    Aline

Advertisement

2. Harry2

Harry2 Android Expert
    None

Jun 3, 2010
    Black Forest
    Tried you another file manager? You might install the free ES File Explorer :)

Harry

funkylogik and ali010 like this.
  3. ali010

ali010 Lurker
    None

Aug 13, 2013
    thanks - that worked!

4. ali010

ali010 Lurker
    None

Aug 13, 2013
    So here I am again..
    With the same problem. The new ES File explorer recognizes the files and folders on the sd card, but after I connected my phone to my pc and turned on the USB storage function all my pictures wouldnt be recognized/in my gallery anymore (yet still in de the dcim folder on the sd card - both visible on my pc as well as through ES file explorer).

I guess this is what happened last time as well (i usually charge my phone with a charger, not through usb).

To test this I took a random picture, which appeared in the gallery (the only one), then connected my phone to my pc again and it was no longer in my gallery - but still on the sd card.

What is happening?

-- I think this also goes for my music. I put one album on my sd card (which i can access and play through ES File explorer) - but i can't find in PlayMusic or Music+..

This is superannoying - does anybody know what to do?
    Thanks!

5. divinebovine

divinebovine Android Expert
    None

Aug 30, 2012
    Harry2 likes this.
  6. teddyearp

teddyearp Android Expert

May 19, 2010
    Store Manager
    Pinetop, AZ
    ali010 welcome to the site :hello:.

I wonder if you told us which model phone and what carrier you are on so we could possibly move your thread to the device specific forum, we could get you more help from folks more familiar with your specific device?

I know kind of a run-on question . . . .

7. Harry2

Harry2 Android Expert
    None

Jun 3, 2010
    Black Forest
    What divinebovine said ... :)

I'd add a thought (for a slight chance).
    ES has the option in its settings to -show/not show- hidden files. You might play with the option to see if you'd make disappear these pic's files of question. If so you'd look if your gallery has this option too.

Another thought is to access your PC via WiFi and to avoid that connection via USB cable.
    I use ES for that wireles connection to my network drive for years :)

Harry

divinebovine likes this.