• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root SD card partioning question.

I recently rooted my desire , using unrevoked and the guides on here (thanks to all who made and update the faq's and guides. Excellent work :) ).
I want to install a custom ROM, probably Redux , and use a2sd+. However after reading the faq I'm a bit stumped :thinking:. My laptop does not have a cd drive so 1. I cant burn gparted to a cd and 2. the bios has no "boot from cd" option. is there anyother way to make the EX partion I need to utilise a2sd+?

I recently rooted my desire , using unrevoked and the guides on here (thanks to all who made and update the faq's and guides. Excellent work :) ).
I want to install a custom ROM, probably Redux , and use a2sd+. However after reading the faq I'm a bit stumped :thinking:. My laptop does not have a cd drive so 1. I cant burn gparted to a cd and 2. the bios has no "boot from cd" option. is there anyother way to make the EX partion I need to utilise a2sd+?

yes simple solution is to get vmwareplayer
download the gparted iso
create a blank virtual machine and enable usb for it
in the cd drive for the virtual machine point it to the gparted iso
start the virtual machine

you will now have gparted running in vmware player.
when you connect the sdcard via adapter or via the phone (remember to enable mass storage mode on phone) you will have a botton on the bottom right of vmware player to "attach usb, disconnect from host". click it
refresh drives on gparted and you will see the drive there.

Reactions: Oh Dae Su
Upvote 0
yes simple solution is to get vmwareplayer
download the gparted iso
create a blank virtual machine and enable usb for it
in the cd drive for the virtual machine point it to the gparted iso
start the virtual machine

you will now have gparted running in vmware player.
when you connect the sdcard via adapter or via the phone (remember to enable mass storage mode on phone) you will have a botton on the bottom right of vmware player to "attach usb, disconnect from host". click it
refresh drives on gparted and you will see the drive there.

I'm writing a guide for this today

Reactions: Oh Dae Su
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones