1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support SD Card Problem

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by zachmedia, Nov 1, 2011.

1. zachmedia

zachmedia Lurker
    None

Nov 1, 2011
    I have had my Samsung Galaxy Epic for almost a year now and have had little or no problems with the device up until two days ago. I don't know exactly what's wrong with it, normally there are answers to my problems online and I have it working within the hour. My new problem, however, seems rare or almost non-existent and am now resorting to the forums for someone else's advice on the matter.

Certain programs (Audible, any Camera I use, any app that installs itself on my SD card) are telling me that there is no SD card connected, then commands me to mount the card. My music players (Power AMP, Player Pro, Google Music) have no problems reading the card, and plays MP3s from the SD card easily. This is the first very odd thing: only my music player is detecting the SD card files.

I was convinced the card needed to be reformatted, so I plugged my phone into my PC via USB. After mounting it to the computer, I tried to reformat via Windows My Computer, but I got an error message saying it wasn't able to do so.

This is also to note that I already had gone to SETTINGS > STORAGE > UNMOUNT SD CARD> FORMAT SD CARD. It starts the process, and about fifteen seconds later quits with absolutely nothing done to the SD Card. In other words, useless.

So I disconnected the SD card from the back of the phone, and put it into an adapter. I put this into the computer and tried to do anything and was met with a "Protected" Read-Only message that did not allow me to edit or add to the SD card. And, yes, the "lock" tab on the side of the SD Card was not on "lock."

I am worried and I really am in a jam here. It doesn't seem to be a problem with the phone or the system software, as removing the SD card on its own has its own problems. However, I could be wrong. I am at wits end wondering what to do here. Any help would be great.

Thank you,
    Zach

Advertisement

2. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

Jun 12, 2010
    Male
    IT
    Pennsylvania
    Zach, there seems to be a lot of people getting their sd cards stuck with a read-only flag. I'm not exactly sure how it happens but here are some more things you can try.

First with the sd card in the adapter with the lock switch set to LOCK! mount the card on your PC. Then unmount it cleanly (safely remove hardware) flip the switch to read/write (unlock) a couple of times (in case there is dirt in the switch) leaving it in the unlocked position, then remount the card.

If that doesn't work, see if you can try a different adapter.

One of the other reasons for an sd card to be read-only is it's indicative of a failing card. You should may want to replace it.