• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root SD card reports errors in windows

mikem0269

Android Expert
Aug 15, 2011
Illinois
The last 3 times I pluged the phone into the computer windows is saying there are errors on the card and wants to fix it. I have selected no and had no problems but i just downloaded the mik3d rom and moved it to the sd and tried to flash it. I wiped dalvic cash, cash and data then flashed superwipe 3 times also but the mik3d flashed rather fast. when I rebooted it would not boot up so i had to restore. this has me thinking there might be an error on the card but would windows be able to repair that or is there an app that would better understand the android file system.

The last 3 times I pluged the phone into the computer windows is saying there are errors on the card and wants to fix it. I have selected no and had no problems but i just downloaded the mik3d rom and moved it to the sd and tried to flash it. I wiped dalvic cash, cash and data then flashed superwipe 3 times also but the mik3d flashed rather fast. when I rebooted it would not boot up so i had to restore. this has me thinking there might be an error on the card but would windows be able to repair that or is there an app that would better understand the android file system.

you can use windows to scan for errors and attempt to fix them....put your sd card in the adapter and put it in your computer....first i would make a copy of the drive and save it on the computer....then go to my computer or computer depending on wich windows you are running...then right click on the drive that pops up for your sdcard....then click on properties, then the tools tab....you should see an option that says error checking...run that and just select the options on the pop up....data on sd cards can become corrupted...

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
this has me thinking there might be an error on the card but would windows be able to repair that or is there an app that would better understand the android file system.

You may want to note this:

Your SD Card is formatted to FAT or FAT32 both which are Microsoft. I think the reason for this is because most users are on a Windows based machine and the companies (HTC, Sprint) realize that user may actually want to transfer files with a cable. Windows lacks the intelligence to recognize a file system that is not its own. So technically Windows doesnt even see the android file system that is on the phone itself it only see the SD Card.

Side Note:
Most Intelligent Customers Realize Our Software Only Fools Them
replace "Fools" with something a tad more colourful :D

Upvote 0
You may want to note this:

Your SD Card is formatted to FAT or FAT32 both which are Microsoft. I think the reason for this is because most users are on a Windows based machine and the companies (HTC, Sprint) realize that user may actually want to transfer files with a cable. Windows lacks the intelligence to recognize a file system that is not its own. So technically Windows doesnt even see the android file system that is on the phone itself it only see the SD Card.

Side Note:
Most Intelligent Customers Realize Our Software Only Fools Them
replace "Fools" with something a tad more colourful :D

lol i had a colorful word that begins with "F" i wanted to put in there instead of fools but i dont know how strict the swearing policy is and id prefer not to find out lol...but you had the right idea of the more colorful word...:D

Reactions: argedion
Upvote 0
So I let windows scan the card this time and when it finished it reported no problems found so I think it might be windows. Maybe time to format the laptop and run Linux.
You might just want to do that. I've been really enjoying the latest from Fedora. It has gnome 3, which I'm not a big fan of, but I'll give it a chance.

You could try a live disk and then not have to worry about anything.

MICROSOFT : Most Intelligent Customers Realize Our Software Only Fools Them :D
:)

Upvote 0
You might just want to do that. I've been really enjoying the latest from Fedora. It has gnome 3, which I'm not a big fan of, but I'll give it a chance.
:)

Yes gnome 3 is taking a little getting use to. I'm also running F15. I am glad I found some tips to help me with Gnome. Its my favorite desktop hated to see it change so drastically.

Upvote 0
Yes gnome 3 is taking a little getting use to. I'm also running F15. I am glad I found some tips to help me with Gnome. Its my favorite desktop hated to see it change so drastically.

Even Linus said Gnome 3 was a piece of crap. Personally I will not be making the switch.... Although being a heavy PC gamer I typically live in Windoze anyhow :(

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones