• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

SD Card Set as Internal Memory, But Computer Can't "See" It

RebeccaMI

Nov 2, 2011
I was ticked off that I was running out of room in respect to the phone's internal memory on my Moto G4 so I looked online to find out if there was a way to move apps to the SD card like I had been able to do on my Galaxy S4. I found these directions and followed them after first backing up the contents of my SD card:

http://www.androidbeat.com/2016/05/how-to-move-apps-to-sd-card-moto-g4-plus/

After that I was able to move several apps to the SD card, yay! Now, however, I am trying to copy some of the materials I backed up from the SD card before reformatting it. This has to be done by connecting the phone to a computer via USB because when they say the SD card will not be recognized in any other device this includes trying to put it in a computer with a micro SD adapter. I copied lots of my photos back to the phone, but now my computer is telling me the device is full. If I click "properties" in Windows Explorer the phone looks like it has only the actual built-in memory, not the memory including the 32GB SD card that's in there and formatted as internal memory as well. #facepalm

To be able to copy more of my stuff back to the phone do I have to reformat the SD card again and go back to using it as external memory?

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones