1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Sd card started overheating inside the phone

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Naomi969, Mar 13, 2021.

1. Naomi969

Naomi969 Newbie

I had my Samsung J mini prime for few years and had almost no problems with it. Few days ago I noticed it was super hot so I opened the back and the part where the SD card is inserted was so hot I almost burned my finger. I never had anything like that happen before with any phone.

I turned off the phone right away n took out the SD card. Left it to rest for a day. So this is what happens. When I turn it on and there's no SD card in it it seems to be working just fine, the phone does not feel hot. The moment I put the SD card inside it becomes burning hot in that area. Also the SD card stopped reading.

I put another SD card in and it's working just fine. The contects of that SD card show up, and there's no problem with overheating.

I first thought this was my phone but now I don't know because it works fine with another SD card.

Could somebody help me figure out what is going on? Can I fix this? I have a lot of information on that SD card that I don't wanna lose.

Attached Files:

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Dannydet

Dannydet Extreme Android User

Obviously it's a faulty SD card.
    Insert it into a computer and transfer your files. Then throw it out.

3. mikedt

mikedt 你好

From what you describe it sounds like the SD has failed with a short-circuit, resulting in overheating due to excessive current.

You could try it with a computer, but if it's still overheating and not mounting there, I don't think you'll be able to do anything with it, apart from replacing it.

4. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!

which sd card do you have, out of curiosity?

5. Naomi969

Naomi969 Newbie

I don't know what brand it is because someone gave it to me and it wasn't new but it never gave me any problems before. It was one of the best SD cards I had. I had it in my phone for about 2 years with no problems whatsoever and then it started heating up like that...what a bummer. I really want to recover the photos and videos that I had on it.

6. ocnbrze

yeah always backup whenever possible, especially as the card gets older. cards have a finite read and write cycle. so if you are listening to music or watching a lot of videos off of the card (or if you set the card as internal) you will wear out the card.

and for the future, you should think about using google photos.....it will automatically backup your photos and videos to the cloud. i never have to worry about my photos or videos i take. it works great also when you get a new phone. on the new phone you just sign in to google and BAM! your photos from your previous phone will be there......just a thought

MrJavi, Naomi969 and Dannydet like this.
  7. Naomi969

Naomi969 Newbie

Thanks all for feedback

I don't have a computer at the moment. I put it in my other phone however which I just bought few months ago (Samsung A10) but it's not showing me the media.

Is it possible for the SD to overheat in one phone but not have this problem in another phone or in laptop?

Should I maybe go to a repair shop n see if they can do anything about it?

8. ocnbrze

if the card is bad in one phone, it will most likely be bad in another phone. the fact that you do not see your media proves that something is still wrong with the card.

now if a brand new card overheats as well, then you have issues with your phone.

MrJavi, puppykickr and Dannydet like this.
  9. Naomi969

Naomi969 Newbie

I do have Google photos. I moved the media from my WhatsApp to that SD card because the phone had no more space left. I was planning to free up the space on my phone and move the WhatsApp media back on my phone...it needs to have exactly same file name to be moved back into the WhatsApp. Well I guess it's late now. This sucks.

ocnbrze likes this.
  10. Naomi969

Naomi969 Newbie

I keep finding information on the internet saying it's possible to recover data from damaged SD card

Attached Files:

11. puppykickr

puppykickr Android Expert

Can you log in to WhatsApp on the new device, and download the files to that device?

BTW, most of what you will find as far as file recovery from a SD card seems to be bunk.

Basically, when the card goes, it is catastrophic and the card is toast.

MrJavi, Dannydet and ocnbrze like this.
  12. ocnbrze

i agree with @puppykickr most of those file recovery software are just scams, there might be some that are legit, but i have yet seen one that actually works.......don't waste your time or money on them.

MrJavi, puppykickr and Dannydet like this.
  13. svim

svim Extreme Android User

Any microSD card is just inert storage media. There's no spinning disk involved that requires a motor and power for that motor, nor is there even any mechanism that will generate its own heat source. The heat you felt was mostly just transferred from some component in the phone itself, up through that card. Blaming the card for that heat issue is misleading you from looking into the actual problem and its source.

Naomi969, Dannydet and ocnbrze like this.
  14. Naomi969

Naomi969 Newbie

I see... Interesting point.

Samsung Galaxy J1 Mini Prime Forum

The Samsung Galaxy J1 Mini Prime release date was December 2016. Features and Specs include a 4.0" inch screen, 5MP camera, 1GB RAM, Spreadtrum SC9830 processor, and 1500mAh battery.

December 2016
Release Date
Reviews