1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Sd card trouble.

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Felenari, Sep 22, 2014.

1. Felenari

Felenari Lurker

Just got a 128gb SanDisk micro sdxc card and every time I copy my huge 53gb folder with 13k items in it, it wouldn't copy properly. The folders show up but none of the actual content does. It's an actual SanDisk card so I know it's not a 16gb card flashed to read as a 128gb. I'm using Windows 7 and an unrooted galaxy s5. I've tried moving the folders in small increments as well and it still happens. It's driving me Bayshore insane that something as simple as a file transfer isn't working but there you have it.

Any ideas anyone?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. AZgl1500

AZgl1500 Extreme Android User

Kit Kat won't allow that to happen.
    Only apps that copy their own data to their own folders are allowed to use the SD card.

Just about ruins the functionality of the SD cards. Your camera can save pictures to the SD card in its' own folder, but you can't use a File Manager to copy files to the SD card.

SD card is just about useless now.

3. Felenari

Felenari Lurker

Even if I have the SD card in the laptop not the phone?

4. AZgl1500

Your laptop I am sure is NOT running Android. So, if you have Windows or Unix or iOS, then you can format, copy, move, anything to the SD card.

As to whether Android is going to allow you to access those files, I can't say.

5. Felenari

Felenari Lurker

That's just it though. I can't. I'm on Windows 7 with my laptop. Legal version and everything. I've used several different sd cards and they all do it. Could it have anything to do with not having admin privileges on the laptop? I can do everything read write wise except for install new programs and change the system folders.

6. AZgl1500

For installing new programs, just download the .apk and side load it onto your phone.

I downloaded an .apk for something, can't recall what now, oh, it was Ad Block which Google saw fit to remove from their Play Store. Well, I downloaded it to my computer, then I copied it to the Download folder on my S5.

Then I opened File Manager on the S5 and clicked on the .apk
    The Ad Block app went through the normal install just fine.
    However, you must first go into Settings and put a check mark on the spot to Allow installs from "Unknown sources"

Don't forget to go back and remove that check mark when you get through... just for insurance.

Change System folders? why? You cannot do that without having SuperUser access, and it won't happen unless you root your phone.

7. Felenari

Felenari Lurker

No not on the phone I don't have admin access on my laptop. I'm not trying to install anything either. I'm just moving a ton of. Mp3, pdf and image files. Couple hd movies maybe. I click and drag the files from folder to folder to copy then and after they transfer they aren't there when I open the folder.

8. AZgl1500

You still didn't say what OS your laptop is.
    So, I'm going to assume it is Windows.

but, even with my older Apple G4 laptop I have noticed the same thing with it as in every Windows System I have used.... and that is all of them.

Drag and Drop is NOT reliable. I have used Drag 'n Drop between folders and lost all of the files. There folders are still there, but the files disappear.

I use Copy/Paste exclusively now to avoid that problem.

I'm a keyboarder rather than a mouse dragger.... so, I do a Control-C, Alt-Tab to switch a new copy of Windows Explorer and then do a Control-V to start the Paste process.

Yes, I run two copies of the File Manager at the same time.

Also, there is a file manager called Xplorer2 that uses split window panes. That one is extremely reliable with Drag 'n Drop.

xplorer

9. Xieon

Xieon Well-Known Member

Root the phone and change permissions to rwxrwxrwx and that shouldn't be an issue.

Samsung Galaxy S5 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S5 release date was April 2014. Features and Specs include a 5.1" inch screen, 16MP camera, 2GB RAM, Snapdragon 801 processor, and 2800mAh battery.

April 2014
Release Date
Reviews