• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

sd card unable to use as internal

I have two S5 phones, and I don't think I ever tried to merge the extSDcard as internal memory.
I don't believe it was ever set up to do that.

But, leave you with a thought: that is a horrible idea right from the get-go....
If for some reason, the phone itself is damaged, EVERYTHING on the SD card is lost.
Completely lost:

why? all of the directory structure depends on the phone itself to keep things straight.
No other phone, even another S5, can recognize anything stored on that SD card.

So, I suggest you forget about merging the memories of the phone and the SD card.....
Horrible implementation, and whoever thought the idea up, should be shot at sunrise.

At least, with an extSDcard, if the phone dies, any phone can see the current SD card you have now.
Or, a PC for that matter.

Upvote 0
I have two S5 phones, and I don't think I ever tried to merge the extSDcard as internal memory.
I don't believe it was ever set up to do that.

But, leave you with a thought: that is a horrible idea right from the get-go....
If for some reason, the phone itself is damaged, EVERYTHING on the SD card is lost.
Completely lost:

why? all of the directory structure depends on the phone itself to keep things straight.
No other phone, even another S5, can recognize anything stored on that SD card.

So, I suggest you forget about merging the memories of the phone and the SD card.....
Horrible implementation, and whoever thought the idea up, should be shot at sunrise.

At least, with an extSDcard, if the phone dies, any phone can see the current SD card you have now.
Or, a PC for that matter.

I understand exactly what you mean, it doesn't sound like a good position. I just want to move apps that use a lot of data and some others onto the external sd card - I don't understand why this cant be done like previously.

Upvote 0
Oh, that is because the S5s now have Lollipop and Google put a stop to that.
IF the app creates a folder on the SD card, then it can store stuff there,
but you can't move things yourself with a file manager to a folder you made.

some apps can be partially moved to the SD card, but all of the data remains on the phone's internal memory.
for me, the whole idea of apps to the SD card is a bad idea. I see more threads on troubles with that than not.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones