1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General sd card unable to use as internal

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by alex01, May 15, 2016.

1. alex01

alex01 Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 13, 2010
    Male
    Herts. UK
    Hi,
    my s5, recently updated to android 6.01 will not allow sd card to be used as internal storage. could someone tell me if this normal for this phone? there are instruction on web but not working on my phone.
    thanks
    alex

Advertisement

2. AZgl1500

AZgl1500 Android Expert

Feb 3, 2011
    Male
    Retired and loving it.
    Oklahoma grasslands
    I have two S5 phones, and I don't think I ever tried to merge the extSDcard as internal memory.
    I don't believe it was ever set up to do that.

But, leave you with a thought: that is a horrible idea right from the get-go....
    If for some reason, the phone itself is damaged, EVERYTHING on the SD card is lost.
    Completely lost:

why? all of the directory structure depends on the phone itself to keep things straight.
    No other phone, even another S5, can recognize anything stored on that SD card.

So, I suggest you forget about merging the memories of the phone and the SD card.....
    Horrible implementation, and whoever thought the idea up, should be shot at sunrise.

At least, with an extSDcard, if the phone dies, any phone can see the current SD card you have now.
    Or, a PC for that matter.

alex01 and bcrichster like this.
  3. alex01

alex01 Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 13, 2010
    Male
    Herts. UK
    I understand exactly what you mean, it doesn't sound like a good position. I just want to move apps that use a lot of data and some others onto the external sd card - I don't understand why this cant be done like previously.

4. AZgl1500

AZgl1500 Android Expert

Feb 3, 2011
    Male
    Retired and loving it.
    Oklahoma grasslands
    Oh, that is because the S5s now have Lollipop and Google put a stop to that.
    IF the app creates a folder on the SD card, then it can store stuff there,
    but you can't move things yourself with a file manager to a folder you made.

some apps can be partially moved to the SD card, but all of the data remains on the phone's internal memory.
    for me, the whole idea of apps to the SD card is a bad idea. I see more threads on troubles with that than not.

alex01 and bcrichster like this.

Samsung Galaxy S5

The Samsung Galaxy S5 was announced in 2014 and was the company's first flagship of the year. The device featured a 5.1-inch display with a resolution of 1920 x 1080, 2GB of RAM, 16GB of storage, and a 16MP primary rear camera.