1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

SD card unexpectedly removed - S5

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by shearclass, Nov 9, 2014.

1. shearclass

shearclass Newbie

Hi

I have seen similar threads to this, but none specific to the S5.

I got the S5 last week, in the UK, on 3. I bought a sandisk SDXC card about a month ago in anticipation. The card is new and has not been used in any other device.

I believe the Sandisk to be legit. The box various stated the following info:
    64GB, UHS speed class 1, class 10, up to 30 Mb/s, 200X.

I don't know what 200X stands for, nor do i know why there are two different class ratings. I presume they are for different things.

I transferred music onto my phone, and i was trying to move it to the SD card. However, during transfer, , i get the notification that "SD card has been unexpectedly removed". The SD card then immediately is 'installed' again. Sometimes this happens immediately, and sometimes it copies a bit of the music over before the error happens.

I have tried formatting the card in the phone, however this does not appear to have made any difference.

Before I get in touch with 3 to complain (not something I'm looking forward to, based on their sales team), can anyone give me any other alternatives?

As much as I like the S5, it's frustrating that such a simple thing like transferring music has become so time consuming.

Thanks

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. This is probably a hardware problem. Take the card out and clean the metal terminals gently with a moist screen lint.

3. shearclass

shearclass Newbie

Hi

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll try this - but if it's hardware why wouldn't I get this message all the time? It only happens when I'm actually trying to do something with the SD card, and I would have thought that if it was a loose connection it wold be saying this constantly, not just when I'm trying to transfer music (or whatever) to it.

4. MeatLoafT

MeatLoafT Member

I had a 32 GB Sandisk that did the same thing. It also kept popping up the message to check the back on the phone. I took it to the Samsung guy at Best Buy. He told me that the S5 and Sandisk don't play well together. I ended up with a new SD card, a Samsung 64 GB (wanted more storage anyway), and have had no trouble since. I don't know how correct he was on this, but it might be something to check out.

5. shearclass

shearclass Newbie

Thanks. I am certain that this was advertised as compatible with S5, so i'll have to contact the seller of this is the case. I bought it purely for the S5 so it's a complete waste of money if I can't use it.

6. AZgl1500

AZgl1500 Extreme Android User

I have no experience with any other SD card except the Samsung 64 gB SD card in my S5.

So far, no issues with it, except for KitKat refusing to let me do what I want to with it.

7. shearclass

shearclass Newbie

OK thanks. I'll bite the bullet and ring 3's customer services. Kill me now.

Samsung Galaxy S5 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S5 release date was April 2014. Features and Specs include a 5.1" inch screen, 16MP camera, 2GB RAM, Snapdragon 801 processor, and 2800mAh battery.

April 2014
Release Date
Reviews