1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

SD card will not save or delete files, please help

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by BennAtrophy, Jul 7, 2013.

1. BennAtrophy

BennAtrophy Lurker

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, a few days ago my SD card just started this. Any file I delete will return upon reboot, and any file I save will disappear upon reboot, therefore I'm not able to flash any zips I download because they're gone as soon as I boot into clockwork recovery. I've tried deleting and formatting the card on the computer and it shows it as being empty but as soon as I put it back in the phone all the files are back. Not sure if I've screwed up the permissions or what, I can flash the one nandroid backup that was still on my card but it does no good. My phone is rooted and I do Have CWM recovery installed, I'm running more or less the stock rom that I've just pulled some of the bloatware apps out of and added a few other apps, like a file browser into. Any help is greatly appreciated.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Atma

Atma Extreme Android User

Welcome to the forums Benn. :hello:

I moved your thread to the All Things Root forum for you. :)

Thats a strange problem. It sounds kind of like the card is write protected or something. Maybe try going to recovery and formatting there instead of on your pc.

3. BennAtrophy

BennAtrophy Lurker

I tried formatting it in recovery and still no good, I have noticed permissions for mnt/sdcard are set ---rwxrx, so the owner does not have any permissions set, so it is basically write protected. And also I think I may have screwed up the way the mn/ partition is mounted cause it's set for Read Only. Not sure how I did this but can only temporarily get it to mount as R/W. So now I can't figure out how to change either issue cause none of the file browsers I've installed will let me change permissions on those. Also started messing with some options in Clockwork Recovery and now not sure what the mount options should be set at, should it say mount or unmounted?? Again I greatly appreciate any help or suggestions anyone can offer me.

4. Atma

You could try something like root explorer to change it from read only.

If you put it in your pc and right click on it does it give you options for read/write or read only?

5. BennAtrophy

BennAtrophy Lurker

In the PC it doesn't show any properties when I right click. It appears to save and delete fine in the computer but as soon as it's in the phone everything on it is unchanged again. Gonna go get a new SD card today and see if that fixes the issue or if it's an issue with the phone itself.

6. Atma

I guess it could be the card. To answer your other question, the card should be mounted for your computer to read it and unmounted for your phone to read it. That's usually an automatic thing though when you're selecting mass storage and plugging/unplugging your usb cable.

I'm not that familiar with your phone. Are you using the latest version of CWM for it? Maybe a new recovery might help.

7. BennAtrophy

BennAtrophy Lurker

No, unfortunately not on the latest CWM, it's 5.x.x.x Apparently this phone has some kind of issue where it's been fairly difficult to create many custom roms, have found one which the owner has had on this site called Cyanoid but that's been it. It seems I think I've narrowed my problem to an issue with the permissions on /data/sdext2/ and on /mnt/sdcard/ on which the owner has no permissions set.

8. BennAtrophy

BennAtrophy Lurker

Ok, apparently I'm an r-****, the whole issue was my SD card we corrupted. Got a new card and all problems fixed. Thanx for all the help with this though.