• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

SD card

If you put a blank SD card in the Hero, it will automatically rebuild any files/folders it needs. For the most part, it holds things like thumbnails, bookmarks, and such; however, some apps can rely on files they put on an SD card when they are installed, in which case changing the SD card may make those apps unstable. Re-installing them would fix any issues like that of course.

Upvote 0
Does the 16GB card make the Hero faster? If not what is the advantage?

The size of the SD card wont make anything faster. The only advantage to a larger SD card is the ability to store more data, such as music, photos, movies, etc.

Faster SD cards, such as Class 6 cards compared to Class 2 cards for example, will improve the speed of some things, but only things that involve loading from the SD card, like flipping through a photo album, or (if you have Apps2SD) loading up an app. But for the most part, any SD card will have pretty little effect on the performance of your Hero.

Upvote 0
I bought a 16GB class 6 card that I wanted to swap for the one that came with my Hero, however, when I try it only copies part of the folders and the rest it says are embedded too deep...
This included my music folder with the songs I added myself.
Any Ideas how to copy everything over so I can switch out the card??
( I did this by mounting my phone with old card and had my new card in SD slot on my PC)
I even unmounted the 2gb card and mounted the new 16gb, and formatted it with the phone to see if it set itself up some how to the folders needed, so I could just manually add the music back on it. However, only one folder showed up. Then I tried to copy the folders again from one to the other but, still got the Embedded too deep error.

***side note: I noticed that the new card description is listed as FAT32
where the old card is just FAT. Could this be an issue?? Shouldn't the phone have formatted the card to the file structure it uses? The card was brand new and came that way.

Upvote 0
Any Ideas how to copy everything over so I can switch out the card??

Have you tried copying the files off the old card onto the PC, swapping cards on the handset, then copying them back across to the new card?

***side note: I noticed that the new card description is listed as FAT32 where the old card is just FAT. Could this be an issue??

No issue; any device that can read FAT32 by definition has to read FAT, as the former is simply a workaround for the 2GB limit imposed by the 16-bit addressing of the latter. I'm sure the 2GB card shipped with my handset was FAT when I got it, too.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones