1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support SD Card

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by quaff1976, May 1, 2011.

1. quaff1976

quaff1976 Lurker
    None

Nov 9, 2009
    Just purchased an A500 and have a question about the micro-SD card.

When I connect the USB between tablet and PC, only the interal device storage shows. The micro-SD card does appear in Settings->Storage.

The user guide suggests removing the micro-SD card and using a card reader to mount on the PC. Is it possible to mount the micro-SD card while still in the A500 as is the case with most Android phones?

Any thoughts? I'm using Win 7 64-bit. I do have the USB update installed from Acer's website.

Advertisement

2. gabeyong

gabeyong Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 3, 2011
    your SD card status should be shown in <settings><Storage><External SD card>
    If you are using Astro File Manager you access your SD card via <external_sd>

3. ChrisAlb

ChrisAlb Lurker
    None

May 1, 2011
    I am seeing the same problem. I can see the A500 tablet listed and the folders and files listed under 'Device Storage', but the Device Storage link does not contain the External_SD contents. Will update this thread if I find any detail elsewhere..

4. Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed Android Expert
    None

Jun 27, 2010
    Phones
    Over Yonder
    Well that's just silly :(

My problem right now tho is my a500 doesn't show the card I installed. I was hopingvto format it from within the settings menu....similar to how.we do it on our phones but I don't see that option

5. urdaddi

urdaddi Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 1, 2010
    West Florida

I am thinking that you have to use a card that is already formatted.

6. GeekClass

GeekClass Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 26, 2011
    Tennessee
    Yeah, I was thinking that too. A few nights ago I put a 4gb microSD card in it, and since I'm on a mac, I tried to connect it to android file transfer which was working perfectly before, but my Iconia wouldn't connect to AFT anymore and I ended up having to do a factory reset (someone at XDA had this same problem, did the same thing).

I was wondering if formatting had something to do with it, though this was the same card I once used with an android phone before.

7. Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed Android Expert
    None

Jun 27, 2010
    Phones
    Over Yonder
    Maybe. Tried two different cards and neither worked. I am going to try and format one.....also didn't realize this thing works only with 16gb or 2 Gb cards....I have a ton of 8gb cards. O well. For the hell of it I picked up a nook color and s7 slim to play with.. winner gets to join the family.

8. michaelg1030

michaelg1030 Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 26, 2011

I took a card out of an old windows phone that had music, photos, and pics on it and I was able to search the contents in astro and everything on it showed up in the gallery. Ill see if I'm able view it through the settings menu when I get home.

Is yours showing in astro? At first nothing showed up so I took it out and put it back in and it showed up.

9. michaelg1030

None

Mar 26, 2011
    Where did you hear about this? I did not know.

10. deedub

deedub Well-Known Member
    None

May 18, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I put in a 16gb card into the A500 and it works fine. I formatted it first just to be on the safe side.

Only thing that really needs an update is you can't see the card via USB connection to the PC, you can only access internal A500 storage. You have to remove the micro SD card from the A500 and mount it to the PC using a card reader. Once you transfer files that way and reinstall the card, the A500 will see the contents.

PITB having to remove the card to transfer files to it though. Would love it if someone would tell me I'm wrong on this. :(

11. michaelg1030

None

Mar 26, 2011

There are some work arounds if you root.the device. Its to technical for me, but its on the xda forum.

12. michaelg1030

None

Mar 26, 2011
    So yeah I have a 4gig micro SD card in mine and it shows up properly both in the settings menu and in astro. In the settings menu I can't do anything, it just shows the size and remaining storage. Maybe ill try plugin it in ton the PC and see what happens.

13. Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed Android Expert
    None

Jun 27, 2010
    Phones
    Over Yonder
    Someone on xda claimed it is in the manual.....I am too lazy to look it up lol

About to try andget an sd card working and root this bad boy .....then root the nook...then root the s7

So far the s7 runs the smoothest ....but the display on the 500 is far superior ....pointless if it continues to lag etc

I will prolly do a full write up on the three by the end of the week

14. GeekClass

GeekClass Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 26, 2011
    Tennessee
    Sigh, the same thing just happened when I tried to connect it to to an ext hd. Time to reset.

Edit: I didn't have to reset. :D Came across mention of XJNB from XDA by _motley and it works just fine (and looks set to be a lot better than the simplistic AFT).

amigo2011 likes this.
  15. bob33912

bob33912 Lurker
    None

May 11, 2011
    Retired
    Florida
    You probably know by now if u don't. I use FILE MANAGER HD and I can copy from my USB device to external sd or to the internal sd no problem. Hope this helps

Charlesleonard likes this.
  16. splatoid

splatoid Android Enthusiast
    None

May 12, 2011
    Repair Technician for Grocery stores Auto meat wra
    Washington State
    If you open esfile manager and click on the left top icon so it says local. then open the mnt folder there will be the external sdcard and the external usb. Took me a week to find it.

Waggers and Charlesleonard like this.
  17. Charlesleonard

None

May 7, 2011
    For what it's worth it's threads like this that makes it a pleasure to be part of this forum. Someone asks a question and not one of the replys made snide comments or attacks. All very helpful.
    Thanks all.

18. PeteDee

PeteDee Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 15, 2010
    I did think about it though, mind you I rarely read the manual...... :p ;)

19. sherpadude

sherpadude Lurker
    None

Jun 19, 2011
    have win7/64 bit W/USB udpate, 32gb Flash on ACER a500. Can see/mount from filemanager HD on device NOT from PC. So I basically just copy stuff (for now) to local storage and then move it on my device (with file manager hd)

20. abellabell

abellabell Lurker
    None

Oct 20, 2011
    I had put an old 4gb sd into my a500 when I first got it. I could not see it when I connected by micro usb to my pc.

I was able to see the old files that were already on the card on my a500 in various file managers.

I just bought a new 8gb sdhc sd card. I put it into the a500 without formatting it. I connected it to my pc and it shows up. The a500 has two storage drives. One labeled "internal storage" that is about 15gb and one labeled "sd card" that is about 7gb.

I copied divx movies onto it. I got a warning that the files had to converted or they would only be copied for storage. On the a500 they will play in the clear.fi player. The gallery refuses to play them. I found this odd because the gallery app on my coby tab will play the same movie files with out an issue.

Also

21. snoshark

snoshark Lurker
    None

Nov 20, 2011
    MN
    Wondering if anyone has quite dialed this in.

Just picked up an Iconia A500 on Friday. Had a spare 8GB micro-sd laying around from an old Samsung Captivate - still had pictures and music on it from the Captivate. Threw the card in and could see the media on the A500 - but could not see the files on the computer.

Took the card out - put it directly into the computer and could now see the files in Windows Explorer. I then 'right-clicked' the file and hit "Format"

To format it - I hit "RESTORE TO DEFAULTS". Everything was wiped. I then re-installed the card.

Still same problem. Can't say I've experienced this any of my other Androids - I've had the Captivate and currently have the Samsung Infuse.

22. MahaloCat

MahaloCat Android Expert
    None

Aug 3, 2010
    Honolulu
    Sno shark - Use Es Explorer.
    Go to Menu - Settings Home Directory

Change it to mnt/external_sd/ - may be \mnt\external_sd\ Cant remember and tab is at home.

Then you can see your EXTERNAL SD card. Enjoy!