• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root sd-ext.img not found. cant flash recovery, PLS HELP!

If you exported all your contacts to SD, then you can simply import them back again with the contacts app

There are newbies, then there is mere stupidity!

Numbers are back!!!!! Moved from HTC contacts (which i couldn't do with CM7)! Numbers are jumbled with Google email contacts but thats fine - I will sort manually over a bottle of vino! App data is gone but as you all have said, will put that down to an experience. I may start a ROM Manager boycott campaign! :D

Guys I cant thank you enough. Special thanks to Hadron for his commitment and lenghty, detailed and well explained responses.

So pleased! Take care

Reactions: shauny13
Upvote 0
I'm curious - when I selected to restore "data" and nothing happened - how could I see that the data did indeed move across when I didn't have my apps?

Would it be worth downloading my apps again, backing up using mybackup (free version) and titanium then trying restore data part only again?

Upvote 0
"data" in the advanced restore is the /data partition of your internal memory. This not only contains app data, but also user apps (system apps, i.e. those included in the ROM, are in /system). So I'd have expected it to restore the apps as well as their data.

It gets a little more involved if you install an apps2sd solution, because then part of the app is on an ext-format partition of your SD card, and that then appears as a separate image in the nandroid backup (which is the sd-ext.img from the start of the thread).

Reactions: carizma
Upvote 0
Ok very odd thing.

I am reinstalling my apps. I got Whatsapp and it asked me (upon installation and set-up) if I wanted to restore all my conversations from back up - I pressed yes and hey presto! All my old stuff in Whatsapp came back!

Now, call me crazy, but if whatsapp can manage to retrieve my data on my sd card then surely there is a way I can get this back for my other apps?

Any ideas? Should I try a data recovery again?

Upvote 0
Apps which store their data to SD should be able to recover it, same as you did with contacts. The wipe clears internal memory (apps and data), but doesn't touch the SD contents. Many apps however will only have stored it in the internal memory.

If you want to try the data restore thing again, feel free. I would however take a full Titanium backup and a new nandroid before trying the restore, because it will overwrite your current /data partition. If you use the one you made before installing CM7, and if it works, then it will put back your apps and data as they were then. If you use one you made after the wipe, then it will delete everything you've done this afternoon, because it will restore a wiped phone. So as I say, make sure you have a complete set of backups of your current setup before trying, and check the time and date of the nandroid and make sure it comes from before the wipe.

But if you take a new nandroid before trying, if it goes wrong you can just restore from that nandroid and be back where you are now. And if you do a Titanium as well, you've got it all separately backed-up.

Edit: After you've been here a while you'll realise I often cross-post with SUroot!

Reactions: carizma
Upvote 0
Ready for this? Got it all back - original Froyo 2.2 pre-root ROM with all my apps, all my data, everything! I am still rooted. This is what I was trying to get to after CMD7 . Its all there, only thing missing is the stuff I installed this afternoon (i.e Titatnium Pro, MyBackUp Pro and a couple of other things).

Here is what I did -

So I made all the backups as you advised (one with Titanium, one with MyBack Up and one with Nandroid). I decide to try one last time (much to your annoyance SURoot ;)) and booted from recovery. At first, I got the same blue screen hang as before. I pulled battery and decided to call it a day. I ran the latest nandroid backup that I did moments earlier and it brought up my old system with everything! Unbelievable! I have no idea how this happened.

Anyway, first thing is first - uninstall ROM Manager! haha. Now I have installed busybox and have my Titatnium Pro running. How can I move over my new apps from this afternoon? When I go to "Restore Missing apps + all data system", my new apps (including My BackUp Pro) can be found at the bottom with a strikeout line through them. Is it worth restoring everything or will this cause likely conflicts? I am hoping there is a way it can bring over whatever is missing.

Many thanks. :D It just gets better the more I am on here!

Upvote 0
Are you using an a2sd ROM with an ext partition on your card? If you are not then sd-ext.img not found is normal, not a problem. That is what I get myself, because I don't use an ext partition.

So can you give us more information? Also remember that this is the Desire forum, and root stuff is often device dependent, so you may be better off asking in your own phone's forum.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones