1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General SD Increase

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Xruptor, Jun 18, 2011.

1. Xruptor

Xruptor Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 17, 2011
    Does the SD Increase app actually make a difference? Do you only notice the difference if you use specific apps? Does this harm the phone at all?

How exactly does this work and is it a "set it and forget it" feature? Or do you have to do this each time the phone is booted up?

Hopefully this speeds up the "Media Scanning" crap that happens when you boot the phone. Sometimes that takes forever. I'm really just looking for a good review about this app, it's pros, it's cons, and any side-effects it may cause.

Advertisement

2. Shabbypenguin

Shabbypenguin Android Expert
    None

Mar 28, 2011
    Male
    it does speed it up, by default the sd has a cache which android reads into so far.. by default its like 256KB so maximizing it (i use 2MB) allows for for of the sdcard to be set aside for faster reading

Xruptor likes this.
  3. new optimus

new optimus Android Expert
    None

Mar 10, 2011
    Jax Fl
    I am not sure if they are the same thing, just different terminology, but SD Speed Boost is exactly as shabby says, the read ahead is set very low and it allows you to increase the read ahead for better performance.
    Depending on your sd card speed class up to 4mb of read ahead.
    I have a class 10 card and found 3200 or close to that gives me the best performance.

4. Xruptor

Xruptor Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 17, 2011
    Is this purposely set at that speed for a reason? I'm sure they did that on purpose otherwise they would have put the speed much higher? Can corruption occur? I'm just looking at the options because I'm not really seeing a slow access time on my SD card. I'm using the default one that came with the phone.

Is there anything I should be concerned about? Or has people been using this for ages with no ill effects?

-----------

On a side note for some reason the one called 'SD Speed Increase' is not saving the setting on reboot. Each time the when I run the app again it's back at the default setting (lowest possible). it's 300k in size as well.

'SD Card Speed Booster' you have to pay for. >.>

'SD-Booster' was the only one that actually worked for me. I set it to 2048kb. Also the size of the app is a whooping 52k and has a set on boot feature.

wyelkins likes this.
  5. new optimus

new optimus Android Expert
    None

Mar 10, 2011
    Jax Fl
    This is my opinion, based on a small amount of knowledge and a lot of guesswork. I believe the read ahead is set low for better compatibility to all sd cards and phone hardware support.

6. kolosus

kolosus Android Expert
    None

Oct 12, 2010
    PA/NJ Usa
    It is set so low because it is the best one-size-fits-all solution. Your mileage may vary.

7. DaddyZap

DaddyZap Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 4, 2011
    Selling stuff
    Boston
    Thanks for the tip I just loaded SD-Booster. Things seem to moving along in the sd world a bit faster !! This is truly a great place !