• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help SD Mount and XP SP2

jayes

Nov 13, 2009
Has anyone had luck mounting their Droid to their computer running XP SP2? Verizon tech support says it is not possible and that mounting should be automatic if it's possible. He said my computer is too old to complete this task. That I need to update to SP3 or higher.

I'm looking for a SIMPLE, non-complicated way to get photos off my camera. He suggested emailing them to myself. I have been able to get them to Picassa. Is downloading to my computer from Picassa going to be the only thing that works? All I want is simple drag and drop.

When I plugged the USB cable into my computer, I was expecting the "mount" icon to appear on the top left side of the status bar re: page 38 of the user guide. But that does not show up. The computer did recognize "new hardware" and wanted to find the driver, but could not when I let it look. Now when I check under device manager on control panel, I see a yellow explanation point on the Motorola 885 which I assume means it cannot find the driver. Is there a SIMPLE way to get the driver off the internet? Or am I looking for more trouble than it's worth? I don't want to mess with my computer settings too much.. it's a VERY flakey computer and seriously would not be worth the hassle.

If anyone has a SIMPLE solution, appreciate your help. Non-techie here so I don't want to be messing with too many settings.

My knee-jerk reaction was to ask you why don't you just update to SP3? (BTW, there's is NO "higher" service pack).

But then I just figured I'd attach the DROID's driver and you should be all set. I would still recommend updating to SP3.

UPDATE: Tried attaching, got an error message. I'll upload to a webserver and update this post with a link. ;)

DOWNLOAD LINK . . . CLICK for WinXP DROID USB Driver

Upvote 0
Thanks, Joe for posting the driver. By "higher" I meant Vista or Windows 7.
Keith.. perhaps the pro version of XP has "more" drivers.

I won't bore you with my long saga of woes I have had with my computer, the eventual replacement of the motherboard with an incorrect board and the run around I got from the manufacturer. Needless to say.. SP2 WORKS now and I am fearful of changing anything that might make things act up again. I'm sure..well, 99% sure.. SP3 would make things better.. but that lingering 1% chance it won't stops me short of an update.

I downloaded the driver and plugged in the phone and it did not say "FOUND NEW HARDWARE" as it did the first two times I plugged it in. Checking Device Manager shows the yellow exclamation point on Motorola 885 (it's not there if the phone is not plugged in) and I allow the computer to look for an updated driver, point it towards the location I saved it in and nothing. It does not see the driver at all. I assume I don't have to unpack it (or something similarly techie, do I?)

As a work around, I uploaded my photos to Picassa and downloaded to my computer. I have a really nice camera that I carry all the time so the phone camera is really not going to be used very much. It's the principal. It SHOULD work and it doesn't. I would also like to put music on my phone. I know drag and drop would be oh, so much easier. I have another computer that I can try it on and will see if that one is better behaved. I will update this thread when I do.

I REALLY appreciate the information this forum provides and those who post solutions for those of us who are technically challenged. Some of the information here is way over my head.. or needs.. but I read and learn more every day.

So a big thanks to everyone who helps out here!

Upvote 0
After downloading that driver, did you double-click on the file as to "run" it. That is not just a driver, but a Microsoft install file. In other words, it requires running.

Notice that it is an .msi file ... not an .inf file. :)

Nope.. had NOT tried to run the file. I just tried to direct to it through the Device Manager. I did not recognize the extension (.msi) as an executable file. :eek:

HOWEVER.. I just did just try to run it and I did not get very far. Message says that there is a newer version of the driver installed on my computer and then the installation process stops running. I just don't know where to look for that file, or even what it is I am looking for. Tech support at Verizon had me look in some windows subdirectory for the driver and when computer could not find that sub, he told me my version of Windows was too old to mount with the phone.

UPDATE: So I just mounted the camera to my other XP SP2 computer so tech support at Verizon is wrong about my computer being too old to mount the phone. But I still can't figure out why I can't mount to my main computer. :thinking: Where would this newer driver had come from? I did install Motorola Media Link, but I unistalled it because it could not find the phone either. (I guess this is getting to be a recurring issue)

Any other suggestions? Or do I just abandon the process and use what works (other computer) ?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones