1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

SD not registering

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by Rgarner, Nov 15, 2018.

1. Rgarner

Rgarner Android Expert

I finally opened the back of my new S5 (!) and put in the sd card. However, it didn't show. I looked under storage and then used X-plore, but still nothing. I shut it off again, removed and reinserted the card, with no luck again. What am I doing wrong? Could the card somehow have been damaged by being left in a dead phone that long?

Advertisement

vinay mahro likes this.
  2. Rgarner

Rgarner Android Expert

Belay that. I just screwed up again. I don't why I have the idea that SD goes behind sim. At least on this one it's the opposite. I still have to figure out how to change save location to sd. Would I use storage under settings or X-plore?

3. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

Save location of what? Images? That can be done through the camera app but only if it supports it.

4. It's not a global setting, it's per-app. How Android handles it depends on what version you have. Later versions (anything after Kit Kat I believe) there is a storage permission for every app that has to be enabled.
    The S5 does have a setting in the camera to select internal or external storage.

Rgarner, Jfalls63 and Dannydet like this.
  5. Rgarner

Rgarner Android Expert

In a general way, what apps would those be? I know camera and maybe gallery and photos. Is there anything else?

6. Rgarner

Rgarner Android Expert

Is there a way to set storage location to SD for screenshots? I've been doing that "manually" and after a while it gets a little tiring. Also, is there a way to bookmark where I am in screenshots, dcim, whatever, and come back to it later instead of having to start from scratch? I'm not sure that it saves them in exact order (chronologically).

7. Rgarner

Rgarner Android Expert

I ran out of space with the SanDisk 16 gb. Wasn't I lucky to find the Infinitive 32 gb on sale at Walgreens and even luckier that I got an extra discount of $2. That made it only $14.19. Has anyone on here heard of Infinitive? I just hope it's a good brand. Also, what do I do with the old card? Is there any way to transfer files and folders from the old to the new?

8. lvt

lvt Android Expert

Never heard about that brand, but it could be a genuine brand with a SanDisk chip inside. You can use some free apps to check your sd card's authenticity.

Rgarner likes this.
  9. Rgarner

Rgarner Android Expert

I'm not really counting on it to be SanDisk. It sure wouldn't hurt to check it out, though. What's the best app for doing that? Also, how do I copy files and folders from the old SD card to the new one?

10. lvt

lvt Android Expert

I remember an app called SD Insight, let's give it a try.

Simply use your laptop or desktop computer to copy the old sd card content to the new one.

11. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

The best way is to use a card reader in your PC. Put the new card in the reader and insert it into your PC. Make sure it's formatted as FAT32. With the old card in your phone/tablet, connect it to your PC with a USB cable. Then, copy everything on your old SD card to your new SD card. Make sure that you enable file transfer mode (MTP) and that on your PC you enable "show hidden or system files". When finished, shut off the phone, swap cards and reboot. It should boot up just like it was the old card, just bigger.

One caveat. If your SD card is encrypted or mounted as expandable memory and not simply storage, this won't work. You'll need to use the instructions below.

If your card is encrypted or you don't have an SD card reader, then with the old card in your phone/tablet, connect it to your PC with a USB cable (enable file transfer mode (MTP) on your phone and on your PC you enable "show hidden or system files"). Then, copy everything on your old SD card to a folder on your PC. When it finishes, you eject the phone properly from the PC and shut the phone down. Swap in the new SD card and when it's booted completely, plug it back into your PC and copy those files back. to the new card. The problem with this is that on startup, it will detect the new card and might give you options to encrypt and/or use as expandable memory. There's nothing wrong with either as long as you understand what they are. And, while the phone is booting, it's going to recreate a lot of folders that it can't find on the SD card. Overwriting them with old data, might cause some apps to have problems, so in this case, I'd do it on a folder by folder basis just to be safe.

If all you are copying is media like misc or photos, then either method is fine.

lvt likes this.
  12. Rgarner

Rgarner Android Expert

Yeah, it's just photos and videos, because there's no way I'm going to encrypt a perfectly good card and ruin it. In fact, if I had done that I wouldn't have been able to use the old 16 gb in the new S5. I guess I can just use method 1 then, right?

13. Rgarner

Rgarner Android Expert

Ok, I downloaded SD Insight and had it read the card. I am uploading the results. It's a little confusing because it mentions not only SD but also two other kinds of cards, and the results are different for each one

Attached Files:

14. lvt

lvt Android Expert

The SD Card is actually your 32GB SD Card (seems good).

The MMC is your internal memory.

The SDIO might be just an empty card slot, not all devices have it.

Rgarner likes this.
  15. Rgarner

Rgarner Android Expert

What is SDIO? Does a Samsung S5 have it? I had never heard of it.

16. lvt

lvt Android Expert

The only time I use the SDIO was with my PDA many years ago, Android doesn't exist yet. It's a hybrid card slot that allows me to use a SD card or a removable Wi-fi card (one at a time).

Rgarner likes this.
  17. Rgarner

Rgarner Android Expert

I hadn't heard of wifi cards either. I guess that must have been when dinosaurs roamed the Earth. Times sure have changed.

18. lvt

lvt Android Expert

geardiary_spectec_sdio_wifi_03.JPG

It's like this one, paid $80 for mine and sold it on eBay for $50 after buying another PDA with built-in Wi-Fi.