• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Sd or device storage

Most apps take up so little space that it's not worth worrying about.

What I have done is make sure that large datasets (e.g. videos, photos, music) are stored on my external SD card and everything else is stored on the internal SD card. There are two exceptions to this, namely Modern Combat 4 and Sygic Aura (satnav app), which are both apps with >1GB associated data.

With Sygic, moving the data was a simple option in Sygic settings. It was slightly harder with MC4 as I had to use FolderMount but it was still fairly straightforward.

Upvote 0
Unfortunately it is application dependent so I cannot give you a single answer.

You can store your music anywhere on your phone and the OS should find it. You don't say how you got your music on your phone in the first place so I cannot explain how to make sure it goes straight onto your external SD card but you can simply use a file manager (I mainly use File Expert but there are lots available) to copy them over. You will then need to make sure the media is re-scanned and voil

Reactions: dubfreaKs
Upvote 0
Just got an s4. Wondering if I should store downloaded apps on sd card and leave the device storage as clear as possible, use device storage, or doesn't matter?

Unless you root or use a 3rd party app you can't move the app data so it doesn't really matter.

You will save a very small amount of space moving the app alone, it could mount up over time but you would have to install allot of small apps.

Very few apps give you the option to move or install data to the extsdcard, which is something which needs to change.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones