1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Sd or device storage

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by dubfreaKs, Dec 30, 2013.

1. dubfreaKs

dubfreaKs Newbie
    None

Feb 6, 2011
    Auto Sales
    Philly
    Just got an s4. Wondering if I should store downloaded apps on sd card and leave the device storage as clear as possible, use device storage, or doesn't matter?

Advertisement

2. KJohns

KJohns ROM/Application Developer
    None

Dec 1, 2011
    Male
    student/intern
    Illinois - U.S.
    some apps will have to be installed on device internal storage to function properly, other than that it doesn't really matter -> space is space ya know? most of the larger types of things people would typically store go onto the sd card anyway (like photos, videos, etc.)

3. itsallgood

itsallgood Android Expert
    None

Jan 27, 2011
    It depends. If you move the apps to SD card and remove the SD card or it goes bad, the apps won't work and you will have to re-download them. So if you do move them to SD card, I say only games and large size apps.

4. lotus49

lotus49 Android Expert
    None

May 9, 2011
    Male
    Yorkshire
    Most apps take up so little space that it's not worth worrying about.

What I have done is make sure that large datasets (e.g. videos, photos, music) are stored on my external SD card and everything else is stored on the internal SD card. There are two exceptions to this, namely Modern Combat 4 and Sygic Aura (satnav app), which are both apps with >1GB associated data.

With Sygic, moving the data was a simple option in Sygic settings. It was slightly harder with MC4 as I had to use FolderMount but it was still fairly straightforward.

5. dubfreaKs

dubfreaKs Newbie
    None

Feb 6, 2011
    Auto Sales
    Philly
    How do I set default storage folders? For example all my music is saving to my device and I'd like it to save to my sd.

6. lotus49

lotus49 Android Expert
    None

May 9, 2011
    Male
    Yorkshire
    Unfortunately it is application dependent so I cannot give you a single answer.

You can store your music anywhere on your phone and the OS should find it. You don't say how you got your music on your phone in the first place so I cannot explain how to make sure it goes straight onto your external SD card but you can simply use a file manager (I mainly use File Expert but there are lots available) to copy them over. You will then need to make sure the media is re-scanned and voil

dubfreaKs likes this.
  7. lotus49

lotus49 Android Expert
    None

May 9, 2011
    Male
    Yorkshire
    For some reason I am unable to edit or quote my own post so I shall have to resort to correcting my own grammar.

I should of course have said "...the media are re-scanned...".

8. Shocky

Shocky On Probation
    None

Jun 20, 2010
    Unless you root or use a 3rd party app you can't move the app data so it doesn't really matter.

You will save a very small amount of space moving the app alone, it could mount up over time but you would have to install allot of small apps.

Very few apps give you the option to move or install data to the extsdcard, which is something which needs to change.